Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Before I switch to major holiday baking mode, I wanted to sneak in a quick and easy weeknight meal. There are going to be a lot of sweet treats coming your way, so I apologize in advance for the giant sugar rush. I get very excited about the holidays and we all know how much I love cookies, cakes, brownies… the list goes on. So get ready.
But for now let’s talk about this stir-fry. When I was a kid, once a week we got to have either pizza or Chinese takeout for dinner. Whenever we ordered Chinese, I always got the chicken and broccoli. Always. No joke – I’m a creature of habit when it comes to certain things. So now I’m happy to be able to make something similar at home – that is way healthier for you. A major plus.
I’m always on the lookout for easy dinner ideas for the work week and this dish fits the bill. Once you get everything prepped, it comes together in a pinch. This recipe has quickly become one of our favorites and is in regular rotation at our house. I haven’t had Chinese takeout in quite a few years and now I have no reason to ever go back – this dish is far too easy (and tasty) to pass up!
Yield: 4 servings
Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Recipe for chicken and broccoli stir-fry. Make this classic Chinese take-out dish at home instead. Healthier and nice and easy for a weeknight meal.
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
For the sauce:
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
For the veggies:
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 3 ½ to 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3 whole carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- brown rice
- sesame seeds, optional
- additional green onions, optional
- To make the marinade, combine the soy sauce, olive oil, garlic and green onions in a medium bowl. Add in the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside and let marinade for about 15 minutes (or while you prep the rest of the ingredients).
- To make the sauce, whisk together the chicken broth, cornstarch, sherry, peanut oil, salt and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add in the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the chicken (along with the marinade) to the skillet. Cook for about 3 to 6 minutes (depending on how thin you sliced the chicken), stirring occasionally, until no longer pink and cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- With the skillet still over medium high heat, add in the 1 teaspoon olive oil. Next, add the broccoli, carrots and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add in the sauce and mix to combine. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- To serve, spoon the chicken and broccoli mixture over rice. Top with sesame seeds and/or additional thinly sliced green onions if desired.
Adapted from Tide and Thyme.