Mango Coconut Bread
I went a little bit crazy with mango this week at the grocery store. They were on sale, ripe and looking all good sitting there in the bin. So I did what any normal person would do and proceeded to buy way too many. I mean, you can never have enough mango right?
Or so I thought. I made these pork tacos with mango salsa for dinner. We snacked on some more mango salsa with chips. I ate sliced up mango in the morning for breakfast or inside smoothies. But I still had some left.
So I decided it was time to start baking. This bread reminds me of banana bread … but without the bananas. And with mango instead. There’s mango puree to keep it nice and moist, and then some more diced mango for good measure. Add in some coconut and macadamia nuts and you have an easy quick bread that will have you thinking of tropical vacations. Hmmm I could use one of those.
But since no vacation is happening anytime soon, I’ll settle for a slice of this mango coconut bread. While sitting in my pajamas and watching movies. Or while drinking my coffee in the morning. Not too shabby at all.
Yield: 1 9x5 inch loaf
Mango Coconut Bread
Recipe for mango coconut bread. A moist quick bread that is full of fresh mango, coconut and macadamia nuts.
For the mango puree:
- 1 large ripe mango (or 2 smaller mangos), roughly chopped
For the loaf:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 large ripe mango, diced (about 1 to 1 ½ cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan and then dust with flour. Set aside.
- To make the mango puree – add the chopped mango to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Measure out ½ cup of the mango puree and set aside (discard the rest or use for something else if you have any leftover).
- To make the loaf – in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla extract, coconut oil and ½ cup of mango puree. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the macadamia nuts, coconut and diced mango. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean. If the loaf starts to brown too quickly, tent loosely with aluminum foil. Cool for about 10 minutes, then remove the loaf from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Saveur.