Crockpot Tiramisu Bread Pudding
Well, we’re at the end of Crocktoberfest. And I’m a little sad. I’ve gotten into saying the word Crocktoberfest. It makes me crack up every time. The little things that amuse me, I tell you.
So to finish the week out right, we are talking about dessert today. And honestly, before Crocktoberfest, I never actually thought to use my crockpot to make dessert. I debated for a long time about what I wanted to make and finally settled on this bread pudding.
And please don’t judge this dish by its looks. *Side note – can we talk about how the weather has been horrible for over a week now, making it almost impossible to get good lighting for photos?? I have a bone to pick with you mother nature.* But seriously, even with good lighting, bread pudding isn’t exactly a looker.
But, I do promise that this dessert is worth making. The bread is soaked in an espresso-Kahlua mixture and the dish is finished off with a creamy mascarpone topping and a light dusting of cocoa powder – so reminiscent of tiramisu. I could eat that topping all by itself with a spoon. Which may have happened.
So just like during the rest of Crocktoberfest, I’ve teamed up with some of my friends to bring you 9 other awesome dessert recipes to check out. And if you love using your crockpot then be sure to check out #crocktoberfest2013 on facebook, twitter, and instagram to find all the delicious recipes that were shared this week.
Pumpkin Rice Pudding from Around My Family Table
Crock Pot Baked Apples from Eat Drink Love
Crock Pot Pumpkin Coffee Cake from A Night Owl
Slow Cooker Moist Chocolate & Caramel Cake from 365 Days of Crockpot
Crock Pot Tapioca Pudding from Juanita’s Cocina
Cherry Cobbler in the Slow Cooker from Curry & Comfort
Caramelized Apples in the Slow Cooker from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Crock Pot Rocky Road Chocolate Cake from White Lights on Wednesday
Fudgy Peanut Butter Cake from Pink Cake Plate
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder*
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- 8 cups cubed (1-inch pieces) french bread
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
- To make the bread pudding - generously spray your crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, add the water, sugar and espresso powder. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Once boiling, remove from the heat. Stir in the Kahlua. Set aside and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the milk, cream and eggs. Whisk until well combined. Add in the cooled espresso mixture, whisking to combine. Add in the bread cubes and mix until all the bread is coated with the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared crockpot. Cover and cook on low for about 2 hours or until set.
- To make the topping – add the cream, mascarpone, sugar and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high until thickened (and some peaks form - it won’t be as stiff as whipped cream).
- To serve - scoop the bread pudding into bowls. Add a generous dollop of the topping and then dust with the cocoa powder.
Adapted from Cooking Light.