Healthier Carrot Cake Cookies
You know, how you blew off all the work you should have done over the last two days to watch episode after episode of Chuck. Seriously, I’m obsessed. And because Netflix can be oh so bad for you. Like how at the end of an episode you get that little timer thing that a new one will automatically start in 15 seconds. And you have 15 seconds to decide that even though you should turn off the TV, instead you’ll just watch “one more.” But one more, well, turns into more than one. And so on.
I blame the automatic next episode feature. Clearly it’s not my fault that they suck me in every single time and I don’t even have to touch my remote.
But I digress. Cookies. Healthier cookies! Healthier carrot cake cookies! That you can eat while watching way too many episodes of a new favorite show and not feel guilty about! I mean, that’s a huge win right there.
These are basically just a slight twist on my healthier chocolate chip cookies that I made a few months back. I tweaked the base recipe just a tad by altering the ratio of honey to maple syrup, making these a bit sturdier than the chocolate chip ones. Because I’m a perfectionist and that always bothered me about my original recipe.
And then I went ahead and stuffed these with the good stuff – shredded carrots, plenty of juicy raisins, lots of coconut and a nice amount of spice.
So go ahead and enjoy one of these bad boys warm straight from the oven – with no guilt. They will help beat even the worst of the Monday blues.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour OR 1 cup almond meal*
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (or shredded coconut)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour (or almond meal), oats, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, honey, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the raisins, coconut, pecans and shredded carrot.
- Scoop about 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of dough and drop onto the prepared cookie sheet (I used my large cookie scoop). Gently flatten the cookies slightly. You can space them pretty close together as they won’t really spread while baking. Bake for about 11 to 13 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool directly on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Melt the coconut oil first and then measure out the 3 tablespoons (otherwise you may use too much).
Cookie Monster Cooking