Crockpot Honey Bourbon Chicken
So in addition to my current obsession with all things salad, I’ve also been on a crockpot bender. This was made even worse by the fact that a few months ago my mom bought me a new crockpot as a gift (I already had one). So now I sometimes like to bust out both … and have a sort of dueling crockpot thing going on.
It’s slightly ridiculous. But something about it amuses me so I keep on doing it. The little things, right? Plus, it’s multitasking at its finest, which I love. Cooking dried beans in one to freeze while making dinner in the other? You betcha. Or if I’m feeling really crazy I’ll make two dinners at the same time so I can freeze one or just eat it later in the week. Whew, boy do I live a wildddd life!
So, let’s talk about this chicken. I tend to always make this crockpot BBQ chicken when I’m in the mood for pulled meat sandwiches. But I figured I should spice it up every now and then. Shake it up for fun. I don’t drink a lot of liquor but for whatever reason the honey bourbon combo got implanted in my brain. And wouldn’t leave. Do I drink bourbon? Nope. But my husband likes it and I do like the flavor in baking so I figured why not.
Now you can 100% taste the bourbon here. So if you are anti-bourbon, don’t make this recipe. Plain and simple! See how I make it easy for you? : ) But I will say that even though I won’t drink the stuff, I did thoroughly enjoy this meal.
Tender, juicy, slightly sweet chicken that is great on sandwiches, over rice with some green veggies on the side, or whatever your creative mind dreams up.
Bonus points if you multitask and have more than one crockpot going while you make this. Dueling crockpots … I crack myself up sometimes. And yes, I totally have a nerdy (or foodie?) sense of humor.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 breasts)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup bourbon
- ⅓ cup honey
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Add the chicken breasts and onion to a crockpot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, bourbon, honey, tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, worcestershire and molasses until well combined. Pour the mixture over the chicken and onions in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 to 7 hours, until the chicken shreds easily.
- Shred the chicken with two forks (either in the crockpot or on a cutting board), then toss in the sauce and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Cookie Monster Cooking