Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
The air is a changin’. Well, at least a wee bit. I will most certainly take the slightly cooler days where I don’t instantly start sweating as soon as I walk outside. And! Even a few times on our nightly walks with the little beagle, I was actually quite comfortable! Guys – this is huge.
Which also means that I am starting to get back in the mood for hot oatmeal in the mornings. I’ve been boycotting it pretty much all summer. Smoothies have been my jam instead. But lately – I can feel the itch. The time is coming. Oatmeal is calling my name.
But for now, I’m starting with a little transition. Ease myself gently back into the wonderful world of oatmeal. Which is where this delicious breakfast bowl comes in.
Plus, we have apples! And cinnamon! And quinoa! Oh my!
I can actually feel my sister rolling her eyes at me (oh hey sis!) as she reads this. For the longest time I adamantly held my stance on how much I hated quinoa. She would tell me how awesome it is and I would shoot her right down.
And then I did this. And this. And this. And even this. And each and every time she calls me out on it. So maybe, just maybe, I’m finally admitting defeat. She wins this time. Because clearly I do like it. Hmpf.
And it’s just so hard to resist with this bowl. We have quinoa cooked in a bit of coconut milk to add a touch of creaminess (umm yum). We have slightly caramelized apples with cinnamon and nutmeg (gimme gimme). And then we have some chopped pecans and a touch of coconut milk whipped cream. All combining into one glorious breakfast.
So little sister – cheers to quinoa! I’ll give you this one.
- 1 cup uncooked tri-colored quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or butter also works)
- 2 medium-large apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- coconut milk whipped cream
- chopped pecans
- sprinkle of ground cinnamon and/or nutmeg
- drizzle of pure maple syrup, if needed to sweeten
- To make the quinoa - add the quinoa, water and coconut milk to a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, give it a stir, cover, then reduce the heat to medium-low / low and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and let the pan sit covered for 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Meanwhile, to make the apples - set a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. Once hot, add in the apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook for about 15 to 18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender (and caramelized!). Remove from the heat.
- To serve - spoon some of the quinoa into a bowl. Top with some of the apples, whipped cream, pecans and finally a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or nutmeg. If not sweet enough, drizzle with some maple syrup!
Cookie Monster Cooking