Winter Roasted Veggie and Chicken Chopped Salad
Gooood morning! I apologize for the lack of a post yesterday per my usual schedule. The obsessive planner in me died a little bit inside. But I’m still in computer limbo right now and it’s totally stressing me out. However, the lovely people at the genius bar *may* be able to fix my computer, which would be awesome. They think it’s a known issue with my model and it may be covered. But because my computer wasn’t being totally cooperative, it’s not a 100% sure thing and I’m still waiting for word after the part comes in.
So for now, we wait.
This was also the first time in a longgg time I’ve had to go in to the apple store. Can we talk about the characters that were also there for appointments at the genius bar? My personal favorite was the guy next to me who was trying to not quite tell the truth about how all the viruses and malware got on his computer. He was completely cracking me up.
Anywho, so for now I’m working from my laptop and holding off on starting to transfer anything since it hopefully won’t be necessary. My eyes are also going batty since I’m not used to editing photos on this computer and I swear it all looks completely different on this screen.
But, I digress. Let’s talk about this winter veggie and chicken chopped salad. You’re actually getting this post earlier than planned since the photos were still sitting on my camera and I hadn’t yet downloaded them to my busted computer. Which means you can have this delicious salad in your belly now!
So this salad actually started just as a way to use up some extra veggies I had hanging out in my fridge. And then we realized how much we liked it, I wrote it down / made a few changes and boom! Here it is to share with you. It’s one of those salads that doesn’t feel heavy, yet at the same time fills you up quite nicely.
The base of the salad is a combo of roasted winter-ish veggies – like brussels sprouts, butternut squash and a little red onion. There’s also some chicken and walnuts for a little protein and a light lemon-y dressing to tie it all together. It’s finished off with a touch of shaved parmesan, which adds the perfect salty bite.
Now, I also added in some orange segments since I like a little sweetness and/or tartness in my salads (and I also can’t get enough of citrus right now), but the husband liked this salad better without it. So in or out … you can’t go wrong.
So tell me. How was your weekend? I feel like I’ve been gone forever even though it’s only been one day.
Yield: about 4 to 5 servings
Winter Roasted Veggie and Chicken Chopped Salad
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
Total Time:55 minutes
Recipe for winter veggie and chicken chopped salad. With plenty of roasted veggies, chicken, walnuts, orange and a lemon dressing!
For the veggies:
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 cups cubed (¾ inch chunks) butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the chicken:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- salt and pepper, for sprinkling
- about 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5 to 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 2 hearts of romaine)
- 1 large orange, peeled and segmented (regular, blood or cara cara)
- ½ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- shaved parmesan, for garnish
To make the veggies:
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Add the red onion, brussels sprouts and butternut squash to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and honey, then sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to combine then spread in an even layer.
- Bake for about 22 to 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until tender and starting to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
To make the chicken:
- Meanwhile, season the chicken chunks generously with the salt and pepper.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. When hot, add the chicken to the pan. Toss to coat and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through and browned on all sides. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
To make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and olive oil until well combined.
- Add the chopped lettuce to a large bowl. Add in the orange segments, walnuts, then the roasted veggies and chicken. Toss to combine. Add in the desired amount of dressing and toss again. Top with a little bit of shaved parmesan. Serve immediately.
Prep time will be less if you use pre-cut butternut squash. Rotisserie chicken would also be a great sub if you don’t feel like cooking the chicken!
Cook Nourish Bliss