Thai Chicken Pita Pizzas
I know, more pizza. But wait! This time it’s like half pizza. Kinda sorta pizza. Lazy man pizza.
We have pizza toppings but on a pita bread base! It’s a pizza mash-up if you will. Thai chicken pita pizza mash-up. Say that three times fast. It’s quite difficult.
So, Friday calls for a really easy recipe. And this one right here certainly fits the bill. Homemade pizza is already on the simple side but we’re taking it one step further today. There’s no rolling out any dough. Instead we just slap some pita bread rounds on a baking sheet, sprinkle on some toppings, pop it in the oven and bam. Dinner is done.
Crunchy, veggie-filled, carb-y, cheesy dinner.
So let’s talk about these pizzas. What I really love about them is that they are individual sized. There’s no fighting over slices – you can just grab one pizza and keep it all to yourself. Also, you can eat what you want and then wrap up the other pizzas (I just wrap them lightly in aluminum foil) and enjoy them another time. Just pop back in the oven in the foil to reheat so they are nice and crispy.
And now for the toppings. We have a touch of cheese and some chicken (rotisserie chicken makes this really easy). If you are not feeling the chicken, I think some thawed frozen edamame would be an excellent replacement.
But my favorite part of these pizzas is all the crunchy, colorful veggies. Specifically carrot and red cabbage that cook just a bit in the oven so they still keep some crunch. Crunch crunch crunch.
And then we have the sauce. Whatever you do, do not skip making the sauce! Sweet and savory, peanut-y deliciousness. The sauce really makes these – so don’t feel like you need to skimp when drizzling it on.
And if you need to mix up some more because you drizzled away? I certainly will not judge. In fact, I would encourage this behavior.
Yield: 6 individual pizzas
Thai Chicken Pita Pizzas
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
Recipe for 30-minute thai chicken pita pizzas. With shredded chicken, crunchy veggies and a sweet and spicy sauce for drizzling. Perfect for a weeknight!
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon natural creamy peanut butter
- juice of half a lime
For the pizzas:
- 6 whole wheat pita bread rounds
- 2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot (from about 2 large carrots)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- chopped peanuts, for garnish
To make the sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, sriracha, peanut butter and lime juice until well combined. Set aside.
To make the pizzas:
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set three of the pita bread rounds on each sheet. Top each round evenly with the mozzarella, then the chicken, carrot, cabbage and green onions.
- Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, rotating the pans once during baking, until the cheese has melted and the pita bread is slightly crispy.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with the cilantro, peanuts and a good drizzle of the sauce. Serve immediately.
As with all pizzas, feel free to adjust the amount of toppings to your own taste!
Cook Nourish Bliss