Roasted Spring Vegetable Salad with Tahini Dressing
Let’s talk salad! Beautifully green, perfectly scrumptious! Full of roasted veggies!
It’s like healthiness in a bowl. So, you know, after you eat a few too many cookies, you can whip up this gorgeousness and then they can sort of cancel each other out, yes?
And, and! I promise it’s so tasty that you won’t even be thinking about those cookies. Well, at least not while you are eating this. After you’re done, I can’t promise anything.
So let’s discuss the components to this pretty pretty roasted spring vegetable salad.
We start with a big tray of roasted vegetables – onion, asparagus and broccoli. Because I am ALL ABOUT the broccoli right now. I’ll eat it all, please and thank you. We’ll toss them with some olive oil and a little salt / pepper before letting the oven do its magic. Easy peasy.
When the veggies come out of the oven, we’ll let them cool for about 5 minutes or so. And during that time we’ll quickly whisk together the dressing. If you are a little afraid of tahini, don’t be! Especially in this dressing it is pretty mild since we are sort of balancing it out with some honey (or maple syrup) and lemon juice. It’s a good starting point if you haven’t used it a lot before (if you love tahini, by all means feel free to add more to taste!).
Finally, in a big ol’ bowl we toss together the veggies, the dressing, some arugula for added freshness, chickpeas for a little protein, nuts for some crunch and golden raisins for a hint of sweetness.
Combining into a completely satisfying and nourishing meal that you can have on the table in just a touch over 30 minutes.
Rolls for serving are completely optional, but this carb-lover couldn’t resist. ♥ ♥
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bunch (1 pound) asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into about 2 ½-inch chunks
- 5 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 ½ to 2 cups lightly packed arugula (or arugula / spinach mix)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- heaping ½ cup golden raisins (regular raisins are good too)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Add the onion, asparagus and broccoli to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread in an even layer.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until the veggies are tender but still have a slight bit of crunch. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil, tahini, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Taste and add more salt / pepper to your liking if needed.
- Add the arugula, chickpeas, almonds and raisins to a large bowl, along with the slightly cooled roasted veggies. Add in the desired amount of dressing (I use all of it) and toss to combine. Spoon into a bowl and serve immediately.
I have also stored this fully assembled (i.e. with the dressing on) and it stayed okay that way too. I prefer to keep the components separate but my husband liked it better when it sat with the dressing on and got all groovy together. So take that as you will!
Cookie Monster Cooking