Lentil, Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Tacos
Tacos tacos tacos! They make me happy. Can you tell? I’m not obvious or anything.
They especially make me happy when they are interesting. And make my taste buds sing. And when they are completely different than the very sad tacos we used to eat as kids.
Have I told you this story before? My poor mother. My sister used to refuse to eat anything in her tacos except cheese and lettuce. Yes, you read that correctly. Cheese + lettuce rolled up in a tortilla. I was a little bit better … with my meat, cheese and lettuce. Salsa? I don’t think so. Anything with a lot of taste? I think not.
We were very interesting eaters. Thankfully, I’ve changed my ways. Because I can now fully appreciate these sweet potato and goat cheese tacos. With lentils. I wouldn’t have touched these with a ten foot pole as a child.
So let’s break them down, shall we?
We start with a simple base of cooked green lentils. Nothing fancy since we have plenty going on with all the other components.
Next up, we have the veggies. This is where it starts getting really good. We have some onion, some carrots and of course sweet potatoes, all cooked in a skillet with some veggie broth, cumin and smoked paprika. At the end, we’ll add in some fresh spinach, just until it wilts down. We’re on our way to flavor town.
But we are really going to bring it home with the toppings. We’ll spoon both the lentils and veggies onto a warmed tortilla (corn or flour – pick your poison!). And then sprinkle on chopped walnuts, crumbled goat cheese and my creamy favorite, some sliced avocado.
Making for one very delightful vegetarian taco!
Now if only I had a margarita to go along with these I’d be all set.
- 1 cup green lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth, plus extra as needed
- 3 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- tortillas, warmed
- chopped walnuts
- sliced avocado
- crumbled goat cheese
- Add the lentils and the water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, partially cover with a lid and let simmer gently for about 20 to 25 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Drain off any excess water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, set a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the onion and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, until it starts to soften. Add in the carrots, sweet potato, cumin, paprika, salt and cayenne. Give it a good stir then cover and let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add in the vegetable broth, give it another good stir, then re-cover and let cook for about 8 to 10 more minutes, until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. If the skillet starts to get too dry, add in a little more vegetable broth, a tablespoon or two at a time. Turn down the heat to low and add in the spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted. Remove from the heat. Season with additional salt / cayenne to taste.
- Add some of the lentils to the center of a tortilla. Top with some of the veggie mixture, a sprinkle of the walnuts, some avocado and crumbled goat cheese. Serve immediately!
Cookie Monster Cooking