Blueberry Corn Panzanella with Maple Chipotle Dressing
Summertime = corn time. And this light and simple blueberry corn panzanella is the perfect way to put it to use!
So, confession. The amount of corn that I have been buying lately is absurd. To the point where the people at my grocery store must think that I have a BBQ every weekend because there couldn’t be another explanation as to why on earth this crazy lady would need to buy so much corn.
Little do they know I eat it all myself. Don’t worry, I do share with the husband. But that’s it. Back away from my summer corn people.
It’s just so. darn. good. And you know what else is good? Blueberries + corn. If you’ve never tried the combo before promise me that you will. Something about it just works. Like over the moon works.
Which leads me to today’s recipe. I have a mild obsession with panzanella of any kind. Up until now this BLT version has been my reigning favorite. But I don’t know … today’s blueberry corn one really holds its own. Dare I say beats the BLT version? They are so very different – so maybe we’ll just say that both are my favorites.
So let’s get down to business.
We’ll start by toasting some multigrain bread cubes in the oven until they are all warm and slightly crunchy.
While they are baking, we’ll quickly saute some red onion and plenty of fresh corn with a few spices. Get them all jazzed up.
After it all cools down for just a few minutes, we’ll toss together the bread cubes and the corn mixture with some fresh blueberries, diced avocado and a touch of arugula.
Before spooning it into a serving dish and drizzling with a sweet and slightly spicy maple chipotle dressing. Swoon swoon!
Summer perfection. If I do say so myself.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups cubed (1-inch pieces) multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 ½ cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 to 3 ears of corn)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 cups lightly packed arugula or mixed greens
- fresh basil, chopped or chiffonade, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, chipotle peppers and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Add the bread cubes to a large rimmed baking sheet, spread in an even layer and mist lightly with an olive oil spray (or nonstick). Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once during baking, until golden brown and toasted. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, set a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the red onion and cook for about 2 minutes, until it starts to soften. Add in the corn, cumin, paprika and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, until tender. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Add the bread cubes, onion / corn mixture, the blueberries, avocado and arugula to a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Scoop some of the salad into a bowl. Drizzle with the desired amount of dressing, garnish with some fresh basil and serve immediately.
This isn’t a dish that I would suggest making in advance. It’s definitely best when eaten right away!
Cookie Monster Cooking