Chocolate Covered Cherry Overnight Oats
Who is the last person on the planet to make overnight oats? This girl.
And who do you think is now fully obsessed with them? Are you at all surprised? Clearly not, we know this is how I roll. Especially when we are talking chocolate covered cherry overnight oats!
I swear I have been meaning to make this breakfast item for years now. But I could never seem to get my act together and prep them the night before. That’s the last thing on my mind at that time of day. I am fully focused on getting dinner (and sometimes dessert) into my face, so there is no time to even think about breakfast. Nope nope nope.
But, I finally decided I wanted to make a version to share with you here. Apparently that’s what lights the fire under my bum. And now of course I feel like I’ve been missing out. Give me plenty of overnight oats!
Fun fact. Even my mom (who HATES regular hot oatmeal with a passion <— which I can’t comprehend!) liked these. I may have force fed her some when she came to visit last weekend. Such a nice daughter, huh?
Anywho, let’s get down to business.
Did I mention that these are actually quite healthy? We have a base that is filled with oats, almond milk, plain greek yogurt, chia seeds and some unsweetened cocoa powder. We’ll mix it all up and pop it in the fridge to sit overnight.
And in the morning we’ll top it with all the good stuff! A touch of honey or maple syrup. Some fresh cherries. Some sliced almonds! Some cacao nibs (latest other obsession – you can absolutely use chocolate chips instead)!
I like to add in a few extra splashes of almond milk to loosen it up a tad.
And then shovel into my face. Because I am haaangry in the mornings. And because chocolate + cherries is just a downright awesome combination.
Although, not gonna lie, I kind of feel like I’m cheating on my normal smoothie when I make these. Is that weird?
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup (or to taste)
- ⅓ to ½ cup pitted and halved fresh cherries
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs (or chocolate chips)
- 2 tablespoons sliced raw almonds (or nut of choice)
- few splashes unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- In a small bowl, mix together the oats, almond milk, yogurt, chia seeds and cocoa powder until well combined. Transfer the mixture to a jar or container with a lid and refrigerate overnight.
- Scoop the mixture into a serving bowl. Stir in the desired amount of sweetener, then top with the cherries, cacao nibs and nuts. Add in an extra splash or so of milk if desired. Enjoy!
Alternatively, you can just mix everything together when prepping it for the fridge - so all the items for the oats plus the sweetener, cherries, cacao nibs and almonds - and let it all sit together overnight. Then it’s completely ready to go in the morning (just add in a splash of milk!).
One other tip! I like to make several of these at a time so I have a number of breakfasts that are ready to go (they keep great for a few days in the fridge)!
I also finally broke down and purchased a cherry pitter. Life changing, life changing. This is the one that I have (<--- affiliate link!) and I’m officially kicking myself for waiting so long to grab one.
Cookie Monster Cooking