Potato, Green Bean and Goat Cheese Breakfast Skillet
Breakfast for dinner. Yay? Nay? I find it totally acceptable. The husband, not so much. It’s a subject of great foodie debate in our household.
I try to make my case with dishes like this potato, green bean and goat cheese breakfast skillet, so that I can slowly convince my husband to come over to the dark side. You know, the breakfast for dinner dark side. <— Who says things like this. Oh wait, me.
But seriously. For breakfast, brunch, dinner. I really don’t think you can go wrong with this one.
One skillet. About 35 minutes. And a very happy belly.
I may also be saying this because over the last few months I have become utterly obsessed with yukon gold potatoes. Why, who knows, but I cannot get enough of them. I’m pretty sure that I actually bought eight of them last week at the store for use in various dishes. Eight! There are two of us living at this house. Clearly we probably do not need eight.
Apparently I’m the crazy corn AND yukon potato lady.
So let’s talk about this meal.
In addition to the potatoes, we have a bit of red onion and plenty of fresh green beans, which I’ve also been really digging lately. Green bean love!
We’ll cook them all up in a skillet, along with a bit of broth to amp up the flavor. Once tender, we’ll top with a sprinkle of goat cheese, which adds some tang and creaminess.
Eggs are then cracked into wells in the skillet and cooked until your liking (for me that means a runny yolk! swoon swoon!). I like to serve with some creamy sliced avocado, but if you don’t want to top with anything that works too!
Or if you’re like my husband, you probably will pour on the hot sauce. And yes, we also have a great debate going about the use of hot sauce. Very important matter clearly!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium yukon potatoes (about 1 ½ pounds), cut into ¾ inch chunks
- 6 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth, plus extra as needed
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 5 large eggs
- sliced avocado, for serving
- Set a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the red onion and cook for about 2 minutes, until it starts to soften. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add in the potatoes, green beans, salt and pepper. Give the mixture a good stir, then cover and let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Add in the vegetable broth, give it another good stir, then re-cover and let cook for about 10 more minutes, until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. If the skillet starts to get too dry and the potatoes are sticking to the bottom, add in a little more vegetable broth, a splash or so at a time, especially right before you add the cheese/eggs.
- When the potatoes are tender, sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese evenly over the top. Next, make five small wells in the skillet (leaving a few veggies at the bottom of each well) and then break the eggs into the wells. Cover the skillet, turn the heat down to medium low and let cook until the eggs are set and the yolks are to your desired doneness (for me, this is about 6 to 7 minutes).
- Remove from the heat. Serve topped with avocado.
Cookie Monster Cooking