Watermelon Basil Agua Fresca
Let’s all cool off with a super refreshing drink, yes??
Because summer has most definitely arrived (and settled in for the season I might add) here in lovely North Carolina. Temperatures have been in the high 80s, and reaching well into the 90s, and I for one am hot.
While I definitely love the lazy feel of summer (along with plenty of other things like fresh fruit, ice pops, swimming pools!), this weather has me slightly concerned about what it’s going to be like in say July or August. I mean, it’s only early June for crying out loud!
Which means, I need to be prepared with plenty, and I do mean plenty, of watermelon basil agua fresca. We’ve had a pitcher of this dark pink beauty in the fridge for at least the last three weeks now and I mayyyy be slightly addicted. We are huge water drinkers at our house but I am kinda completely loving having another option on hand – especially for after my afternoon walks with the crazy beagle. So refreshing!
Now, today’s recipe is also embarrassingly easy. We’re talking four (count em’ four!) ingredients! One of which is water, so I’m not really sure that actually counts. So three, count em’ three, ingredients!! And it will only take you about 10 minutes to make. Not too shabby indeed.
I know that watermelon basil may sound a tad bit odd, but I promise you that the two are just sooo good together! I had the idea for this recipe after having a watermelon basil sort of smoothie at a farmers market in Asheville last spring. I’ve been obsessed with the combination ever since.
And please don’t be scared. It’s not a super strong basil flavor – more like a nice light note that adds this awesome herby element against the sweetness of the watermelon.
So, let’s talk a few tips & tricks!
- If you use pre-cut watermelon chunks and the chunks are huge, cube them down so that they are smaller before measuring out the 6 cups.
- The basil flavor will infuse more and more as this sits. Again, it’s never overpowering, so have no fear! This is more of just an FYI.
- Right before serving, give the agua fresca a quick stir. It will separate while chilling in the fridge but it comes back together in a flash.
- While you don’t have to strain the mixture, I really like to take the extra step. It gets rid of any seeds that may have gotten mixed in and makes it so smooth and silky!
- I personally think watermelon is plenty sweet already and love the recipe as written. But feel free to add a sweetener to your taste! I think agave, maple syrup or honey would be best since they are all liquid and will combine more easily.
- If the basil is just too weird, you can leave it out. It is fantastic as plain watermelon agua fresca as well!
Looking for something a little more dessert-y with watermelon?? I’ve already started making these creamy watermelon coconut milkshakes like mad. AND they’re healthy! Bonus!
Yield: about 5 to 6 servings
Watermelon Basil Agua Fresca
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:0 minutes
Total Time:10 minutes
Easy and so refreshing, this watermelon basil agua fresca is perfect for summer! With just four ingredients (including water!). And no added sugar!
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 ½ cups water
- juice of ½ a small lime
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- Add the watermelon, water and lime juice to a blender. Process until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve (using a wooden spoon or spatula to help push it through), then pour into a pitcher.
- Add the basil to the pitcher and use a wooden spoon to lightly muddle the leaves a bit. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours until nice and cold. Give it a stir then serve over ice!
Be sure to chill the agua fresca before serving – this allows the basil to infuse into the water.
Cook Nourish Bliss