Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
These fluffy homemade chocolate chip cupcakes are a fantastic decadent treat! With a dreamy vanilla base studded with chocolate chips and a brown sugar cream cheese frosting, they are hard to resist. Vegetarian.
Note: This recipe is NOT dairy free. It was published before Cook Nourish Bliss transitioned to dairy free recipes and remains popular with long time readers. You can try using substitutions to make it dairy free, however I have not tested this myself and can’t say how it will turn out.
I always jump at the chance to bring dessert to a party. It gives me the opportunity to try out a fun new recipe.
I love cupcakes and don’t get to make them all that often, so I settled on these for a recent gathering.
These went over very well with everyone who tried them – I mean what’s not to love about a chocolate chip base with cream cheese frosting?
The cupcake base reminded me of a chocolate chip muffin. And then it is topped with an incredible brown sugar cream cheese frosting.
While the cupcake itself is good – this frosting makes it divine. It has all the goodness of a cream cheese frosting with the added bonus of brown sugar.
The addition of cornstarch (which may seem a little weird) really helps thicken up the frosting so it has the pretty much the same consistency as a basic cream cheese frosting.
And mini chocolate chips for garnish finished these off nicely. They almost looked too pretty to eat. Almost.
Additional Cupcake Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
- Football Cupcakes
- Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
- Cranberry Cupcakes
- Irish Cream Cupcakes
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the cupcakes:
- 3 ¼ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 14 tablespoons (1 ¾ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups mini chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened slightly but still cold
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- mini chocolate chips, for garnish
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line muffin tins with baking cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the egg whites to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the bowl of your stand mixture. Switch to the paddle attachment. Add the butter and granulated sugar to the bowl and beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine the milk and vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, add in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then half of the milk mixture. Repeat this process – add another 1/3 of the flour mixture, then the remaining half of the milk mixture. Finish by adding the last 1/3 of the flour mixture.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and gently fold in the egg whites. Finally, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for about 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool for a few minutes in the tins. Then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch and confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla extract and brown sugar mixture. Continue to beat on medium high speed until the frosting is light, fluffy and has a smooth texture (another few minutes).
- Remove the bowl and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with mini chocolate chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.