These gooey, chocolate-y s’mores brownies are the perfect fun summer treat! With a graham cracker base, a layer of fudgy brownies and finished with toasted marshmallows, you cannot go wrong. Vegetarian.
Note: This recipe is NOT dairy free. It was published before Cook Nourish Bliss transitioned to dairy free recipes and remains popular with long time readers. You can try using substitutions to make it dairy free, however I have not tested this myself and can’t say how it will turn out.
S’mores just scream summer to me. They are fun and easy and seem to be the perfect way to end an outdoor gathering during the warmer weather.
As much as I love good old-fashioned s’mores, I also think it’s fun to play around with those flavors in baked goods. Like these brownies for instance.
They make a wonderful substitute for the real thing when you have no place to roast marshmallows (other than your stove maybe) or want to make your dessert ahead of time.
These have a simple graham cracker base that is topped with a fudgy brownie and finished off with lightly toasted marshmallows.
Make sure that you let these cool completely before you even attempt to cut them into squares. They are a little difficult to cut, as the marshmallows stick pretty easily to your knife (and start to pull away from the brownie layer).
As a way around this – make sure you use a sharp knife and carefully wipe the blade after each cut. I also found that running the knife under warm water (and then wiping) made this much easier and allowed me to cut them without a problem.
Additional Chocolate Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Flourless Peanut Butter S’mores Cookies
- Dairy Free Brownies
- Brownie Batter Hummus
- Chocolate Avocado Brownies
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the graham cracker crust:
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 to 12 graham crackers)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the brownie layer:
- ⅔ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
For the topping:
- 4 ½ cups mini marshmallows*
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper (cut a big enough piece so that the paper hangs over the edges of the pan on two sides). Set aside.
For the crust:
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar and salt. Pulse until combined. Alternatively, you can add the ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. Keep the oven at 350ºF.
For the brownie layer:
- Add the cocoa powder, both sugars, salt, flour and espresso powder to a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Next add in the eggs, vegetable oil and water. Mix to combine.
- Pour the brownie mixture over the baked graham cracker crust. Use a spatula to gently smooth the batter evenly throughout the pan.
- Bake in the 350ºF oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Turn your broiler on low. Place the marshmallows evenly on top of the brownie layer. Place the pan in your oven and toast the marshmallows under your broiler for 1 to 2 minutes. Watch them closely, since they turn very quickly. Remove from the oven when they are lightly toasted.
- Let the brownies cool completely. Use the parchment overhang to gently lift the brownies out of the pan.
- To cut into squares, use a sharp knife and carefully wipe the blade after each slice. These are slightly difficult to cut, as the marshmallow topping can easily pull away from the brownie layer. You can also run your knife under warm water (and then gently wipe), which also helps when cutting.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 4g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.