These breakfast quesadillas are my newest obsession. I would eat them for breakfast all the time if I could. But I always seem to be running out the door to work during the week so unfortunately these only happen on the weekends.
So quite a few weeks ago I ordered breakfast quesadillas when we went out for brunch and I knew immediately that I wanted to recreate something similar at home – with some changes of course. This version below is my idea of a perfect breakfast – eggs, plenty of chicken sausage, pico de gallo and a good amount of cheese all sandwiched together inside of a tortilla. The pepper jack gives them just a hint of kick and you absolutely must serve these with even more pico and some plain greek yogurt. Gotta do it right.
So who wants to come make me one of these this morning? Any takers? Husband? Yes?
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe for breakfast quesadillas. Packed with eggs, chicken sausage, pico de gallo and plenty of pepper jack cheese for just a hint of kick.
- 2 links chicken sausage, casings removed
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ of a green bell pepper, diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 large whole wheat quesadillas
- ½ to 1 cup freshly grated pepper jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons pico de gallo, plus more for serving
- nonstick cooking spray
- plain greek yogurt, for serving
- Set a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through (using a wooden spoon to break it up into smaller pieces as it cooks). Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a medium bowl. Set aside. Return the skillet to the heat and add in the olive oil. Add the green pepper about cook for about 3 minutes, until crisp tender. Transfer to the bowl with the sausage and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Wipe out the skillet then set it over medium heat. Add in the butter. When melted, add in the eggs. Stir occasionally until cooked through and scrambled.
- Drain off any accumulated juices from the bowl with the sausage, then add the sausage and peppers to the eggs. Mix to combine.
- Place a tortilla on a work surface. Spoon ¼ of the egg mixture on half of a tortilla, leaving a small border around the edge. Top with a ¼ of the cheese and then 1 tablespoon of the pico de gallo. Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the filling to form a semicircle. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Wipe out the skillet you used for the eggs and set over medium high heat. When hot, spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Place an assembled quesadilla in the pan and cook, flipping once halfway through, until both sides are browned and the cheese is melted. Repeat this process with the remaining quesadillas. Cut into triangles and serve with additional pico de gallo and greek yogurt.
Cook Nourish Bliss