Chocolate Cherry Oat Smoothie
This chocolate cherry oat smoothie is the perfect grab-and-go breakfast! With oats, frozen cherries, cocoa powder and almond milk, it’s hearty and satisfying. Dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
I know. It’s January and I’m sharing a smoothie recipe. How cliché of me.
But. I’ve been making this since the fall and well, it was time to share. I’ve been rotating back and forth between this bad boy and my favorite green smoothie. This one wins when I’m in the mood for chocolate for breakfast.
And we all know that chocolate for breakfast is pretty much always a very good thing.
Especially when it’s combined with good-for-you ingredients so you can chug that glass like nobody’s business. Okay, well maybe don’t chug it, but you get where I’m going with this.
About This Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
And personally, I think that chocolate + cherries is a magical combination.
Which probably stems from my teenage days when I would eat an entire container of Ben and Jerry’s cherry garcia ice cream in one sitting. And not even gain a pound. What I would give for that metabolism again, eh?
But since those days are behind me, I’ll happily settle for this smoothie instead.
We have sweet dark cherries. Rolled oats. Cocoa powder. Hemp seeds. Those are totally optional but I’ve gotten really into them lately and love adding some to pretty much all my smoothies.
We’ll add in a touch of honey and a splash of vanilla extract, all combining into one sweet and chocolatey smoothie that still packs a nutritious punch.
So go right on ahead and make it a smoothie kind of morning. Although, maybe bundle up with a blanket while drinking. Because baby it’s cold outside!
Additional Smoothie Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Blueberry Avocado Protein Smoothie (No Banana)
- Zucchini Bread Smoothie
- Orange Carrot Smoothie
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie
- Strawberry Oatmeal Chia Smoothie
- Blueberry Peanut Butter Smoothie
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 heaping tablespoon unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder*
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey**
- splash of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds or 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)***
- Add the oats to a blender. Process until finely ground, about 15 seconds.
- Add in the cherries, milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and hemp or chia seeds (if using). Process until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Adjust with additional sweetener if needed to achieve desired sweetness. Serve immediately.
*You can also use regular unsweetened cocoa powder in place of the dutch process cocoa powder. I’ve used both, just personally prefer the dutch - makes it feel like a deeper chocolate flavor!
**To keep this smoothie vegan, use the pure maple syrup to sweeten (and not the honey).
***If you are using the chia seeds, make sure you drink the smoothie and don’t let it sit for too long. They make the mixture get very thick if you let it sit for awhile before drinking!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 8gSugar: 27gProtein: 9g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.