Chocolate Chip Roasted Strawberry Shortcakes
Recipe for roasted strawberry shortcakes! A buttery biscuit base studded with chocolate chips, then topped with roasted strawberries & fresh whipped cream!
Today let’s discuss the only Valentine-y type dessert I have coming your way before the holiday. Because holy moly I have been so incredibly uninspired when it comes to this year’s pink day of love ♥
Call me the Valentine’s grinch, if you will. But really, it’s just so not important to me or the husband.
And for the love of cookies, there is no way on earth you would get me to go out to a restaurant to celebrate. With those silly prix fixe menus. I think not. I want to order whatever I want to order, thank you very much.
However, I shouldn’t be feeling very grinch-like because this year I convinced the husband that he needs to cook ME dinner (and no ordering out – I want a home cooked meal please and thank you).
So he has to take care of the whole shebang. I don’t even want to be involved in picking the meal. All I want to do is sit there and have a glass of wine and relax to the max.
I figure if I put this out in the universe there’s no way he can back out of this deal. Public shaming would ensue. So lovely, huh?
About These Roasted Strawberry Shortcakes
Anywho, let’s move on to the shortcakes. You’re going to want to make these, Valentine’s Day or no Valentine’s Day.
What I really love about these is that they aren’t cloyingly sweet. You have a buttery, lightly sweetened biscuit / scone-type base that is studded with some mini chocolate chips.
On top, we have a generous helping of roasted strawberries with a touch of balsamic. And finally, a fluffy cloud of freshly whipped cream. The mint garnish is totally optional but adds such a nice pop of freshness.
Plus did I mention it makes only four shortcakes? A perfectly small batch that will leave you plenty to enjoy but nothing crazy and over the top.
And! And! You can prep them ahead of time. Make the roasted strawberries when you have a second and just keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can also make the scone dough, shape it into the rounds and then freeze (set a small baking sheet with the rounds in your freezer until they are hard, then transfer to a freezer-safe baggie). You can then bake them straight from the freezer (you may need to add an extra few minutes to the baking time if you do this – just keep an eye on them).
So that just leaves baking them off and assembling the day of <— I like.
Additional Strawberry Dessert Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Strawberries and Cream Scones
- Homemade Strawberry Milk
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies with Strawberry Frosting
- Strawberry Chia Pudding
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the scones:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 batch roasted strawberries
- freshly whipped cream
- fresh mint, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Using your fingers, two knives or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour. Continue until the mixture resembles even-sized crumbs.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the cream, egg yolk and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, along with the chocolate chips, and stir until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix (the mixture will be on the drier side but stop when it comes together in clumps).
- Using well-floured hands, pat the dough into a circle that is about ¾ inch thick on a floured surface and then use a 3-inch round biscuit cutter to cut into rounds. Pat together the scraps and cut out rounds until the dough is used up (I get exactly 4 rounds).
- Place the rounds on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 14 to 16 minutes, until the scones are lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- To assemble, place a scone on a plate. Top with some of the roasted strawberries, then a generous dollop of whipped cream and finally a sprinkle of fresh mint. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 138mg Sodium: 343mg Carbohydrates: 42g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 16g Protein: 7g