Healthy Carrot Cake Cookies
Packed with good for you ingredients, these healthy carrot cake cookies are awesome for breakfast or dessert! Chewy and filled with carrots, pecans, coconut and raisins!
They will cheer you up from those Monday-morning-start-of-the-week blues.
If we’re being technical, it’s actually Sunday night as I’m writing this. When that storm cloud settles in and you realize that the fun of the weekend is coming to a close.
But, cookies. Healthier cookies!
Healthier carrot cake cookies!
These are basically just a slight twist on my healthy chocolate chip cookies that I made a few months back.
I tweaked the base recipe just a tad by altering the ratio of honey to maple syrup, making these a bit sturdier than the chocolate chip ones. Because I’m a perfectionist and that always bothered me about my original recipe.
And then I went ahead and stuffed these with the good stuff – shredded carrots, plenty of juicy raisins, lots of coconut and a nice amount of spice.
So go ahead and enjoy one of these bad boys warm straight from the oven – with no guilt. They will help beat even the worst of the Monday blues.
Additional Cookie Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Flourless Peanut Butter Trail Mix Cookies
- Pumpkin Pecan Cookies
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Bread Breakfast Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Cookies
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour OR 1 cup almond meal*
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped raw pecans
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour (or almond meal), oats, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, honey, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the raisins, coconut, pecans and shredded carrot.
- Scoop about 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of dough and drop onto the prepared cookie sheet (I used my large cookie scoop). Gently flatten the cookies slightly. You can space them pretty close together as they won’t really spread while baking.
- Bake for about 11 to 13 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool directly on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Make sure that you use either the whole wheat pastry flour OR the almond meal (do not use both!). It works great either way but the dough will be slightly wetter with the almond meal (again, it still works, just make sure you measure everything correctly).
**Melt the coconut oil first and then measure out the 3 tablespoons (otherwise you may use too much).
To keep these gluten free - use the almond meal and not the pastry flour.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 106mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 3g