Dairy Free Zuppa Toscana
Cozy, hearty and jam-packed with flavor, this dairy free zuppa toscana will become a wintertime staple! Loaded with creamy coconut milk, potatoes, bacon, sausage and kale, it’s the classic soup you know and love but without any of the butter, cheese or heavy cream involved. Egg free, gluten free and soy free.
With soup season in full swing, it’s time to add this dreamy dairy free zuppa toscana to your weeknight rotation.
Jam-packed with all kinds of goodness – like coconut milk, yukon potatoes, sausage, bacon and kale – it’s got that rich, creamy flavor that’s downright impossible to resist.
But the best part? It tastes oh-so-close to the classic version without ANY of the butter, cheese or heavy cream involved.
Enjoy it on its own. Serve with a green salad. Or maybe with some fluffy rolls.
It’s purely perfect comfort food for the cooler days ahead.
- While I think yukon potatoes are fantastic in this recipe, you can absolutely use red potatoes, russet potatoes or even sweet potatoes instead (keeping in mind the flavor will change slightly).
- I would encourage you to stick with full-fat coconut milk for the extra richness and creaminess it adds to the soup. Light coconut milk will absolutely still work, it just won’t be quite so creamy.
- If you can’t have coconut milk, I think a homemade cashew cream would probably be the next best option.
- And finally, lacinato kale can be used in place of the curly kale.
How To Store
Fridge: Let the soup cool completely then transfer to an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezer: You can also store the soup in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge then reheat gently when ready to enjoy.
The soup does sometimes separate a bit once thawed, but it comes right back together when you warm it up (stirring along the way).
Additional Dairy Free Soup Recipes:
- Dairy Free Tomato Soup
- Dairy Free Broccoli Soup
- Dairy Free Pumpkin Soup
- Dairy Free Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Dairy Free White Chicken Chili
- Dairy Free Corn Chowder
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound ground dairy free italian sausage*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound yukon potatoes, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups stemmed and thinly sliced curly kale
- Set a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add in the bacon pieces and cook until crispy, about 7 to 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a medium bowl and set aside.
- To the now empty pot still set over medium heat, add the ground sausage. Cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked though, about 6 to 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove to the bowl with the bacon and set aside. Drain off all but about 1 tablespoon of grease in the pot (if desired - you can also just leave it all in!).
- Set the pot back over medium heat and add in the onion. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in the potatoes, broth, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Increase the heat and bring just to a boil. Decrease the heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and kale. Continue to simmer, adjusting the heat as needed, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the kale is nice and tender. Stir in the cooked bacon and sausage then remove from the heat.
- Taste and season with additional salt / pepper as needed. Ladle into bowls to serve.
*Please be sure to check the ingredients on your sausage - some brands contain dairy. I personally use a mild Italian sausage because my kiddo doesn’t like spicy foods, but feel free to use a spicy version instead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 978mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.