Homemade Enchilada Sauce
This simple homemade enchilada sauce will have you never wanting the store-bought kind again! Easy to make, packed with flavor and freezer-friendly, it’s ready in 30 minutes or less. Dairy free and gluten free with vegan / vegetarian option.
Promise me that you’ll never buy store-bought enchilada sauce again. Pinky swear?
Cross my heart that you won’t even want to buy it after trying out this recipe.
Making enchilada sauce at home couldn’t be easier and really only takes about 30 minutes.
You can make it in advance and keep it in your refrigerator (or freezer), so it’s ready to go whenever you need it.
And the flavor? So so much better than the canned version. None of that watered down taste.
This sauce is packed full of the good stuff and has a great consistency (not too thick but not too runny either).
Enchilada Recipes To Use This Homemade Sauce:
- Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchilada Stir-Fry
- Summer Vegetable Skillet Enchiladas
- Grilled Vegetable Enchilada Bowls
- Vegetable and Black Bean Enchilada Pasta
- Chicken, Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Set a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft and it starts to brown on the edges. Add in the garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in the sugar, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Stir to combine then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I added about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper).
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week or in the freezer for up to three months.
*To keep this vegan / vegetarian - use low-sodium vegetable broth instead.
Adapted from Tide and Thyme
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.