Chicken, Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas
These super delicious chicken, black bean and vegetable enchiladas are soft, cheesy and packed with flavor! Filled with shredded chicken and fresh veggies, they’re perfect for company or a regular dinner. Gluten free option included.
Note: This recipe is NOT dairy free. It was published before Cook Nourish Bliss transitioned to dairy free recipes and remains popular with long time readers. You can try using substitutions to make it dairy free, however I have not tested this myself and can’t say how it will turn out. Or you can try these dairy free chicken enchiladas instead!
These enchiladas were created as a compromise.
You see, my husband likes chicken enchiladas. And I like veggie enchiladas.
He is a pretty good sport about trying (and eating) all the meatless meals I make around here, but I know they’re not his favorite.
So I figured it was time to combine the two so we would both be happy.
Funny enough these turned out to be my favorite enchiladas that I’ve ever made.
These enchiladas are packed with the perfect ratio of chicken to black beans to zucchini and corn – some of my favorites.
They’re even better if you use homemade enchilada sauce – which you totally should do!
Additional Enchilada Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchilada Stir-Fry
- Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- Summer Vegetable Skillet Enchiladas
- Fresh Corn Enchiladas
- Vegetable and Black Bean Enchilada Pasta
- Vegetable Enchilada Casserole
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium ear corn, kernels removed
- 1 large chicken breast (about ½ pound), cooked and shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ¼ cups enchilada sauce, store-bought or homemade, divided
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 whole wheat tortillas*
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Set a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft. Add in the zucchini and corn. Cook for another 5 to 8 minutes, until all the veggies are tender.
- In a large bowl, add the veggie mixture, shredded chicken, black beans, ½ cup of the enchilada sauce and queso fresco. Mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the tortillas for about 30 seconds in the microwave so that they are pliable.
- Pour another ½ cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Tilt the pan back and forth so that the sauce coats the bottom.
- Place a tortilla on a work surface. Scoop about a heaping ⅓ cup of the filling and place in a line down the center of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly and transfer to the prepared baking dish with the seam-side down. Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Evenly pour the remaining 1 ¼ cups of the enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and then return to the oven to bake for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle the cilantro down the center of the enchiladas for garnish before serving.
*To make these gluten free - use your favorite gluten free tortillas. And be sure to use a gluten free enchilada sauce!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 843mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 14g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.