Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Quinoa Chili
Hearty, healthy and simple, this creamy slow cooker butternut squash and quinoa chili recipe is sure to be a favorite! Let your crock-pot do all the work!
Crock-pot chili with quinoa … take two! I know, I know, I only posted the green chicken chili like two weeks ago. But. With winter upon us and a big football game this weekend, I couldn’t sit on this slow cooker butternut squash chili any longer!
Which, to be fair, was a very long time. I’m so proud of myself! It took me awhile to get this recipe just right. And by the time I did, it was spring and well, no one wants hot chili at that point.
So, despite the fact that I am one of those weirdos who eats soup all year long, we waited!
And then I got really excited about the green chili and posted that and totally forgot about this one. And then realized that it’s now or wait an entire additional year. Which was definitely not happening! Nope, nope, nope.
Anyway, I’m officially starting to ramble (as my husband likes to point out), so let’s talk today’s chili!
Which is essentially the butternut squash / quinoa version of my crock-pot vegetarian chili with farro (totally still a huge favorite at our house).
The quinoa gives the chili this sort of awesome creaminess and it just makes me exceedingly happy that butternut squash is involved (one of my all-time favorite veggies!).
Tips & Tricks For This Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili
- It freezes beauuuuutifully. Always a win.
- The recipe makes quite a bit – so see number one right above! Make the full amount and save it for another time!
- Toppings. I highly encourage you to go to town on the toppings. Like avocado. Cornbread! Cilantro! Cheese! Okay I’m stopping.
Pssst. Looking for more football food ideas for this weekend? Visit the game day category on the site for plenty of recipe inspiration!
Tools I Love & Use To Make This Recipe (contains affiliate links):
Cuisinart 6 ½ Quart Slow Cooker – I’ve had this slow cooker for years now (and had the smaller 4 quart size before that!) and love it. It’s fairly basic, simple to use and no fuss, but still has things like a timer (so you can program a cook time!).
Additional Vegetarian Chili Recipes You Might Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the chili:
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 4 cups cubed (¾ inch) butternut squash (from about 1 (2 lb.) butternut squash)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sliced green onions
- sliced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese
- plain greek yogurt
- tortilla chips or cornbread
- Add all of the ingredients for the chili to a large crock-pot. Give it a good stir then cover and cook on low for about 8 hours. The chili should have thickened up by the time it is done and the veggies should be tender.
- Give the chili another good stir before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed (I typically add about ½ teaspoon more salt). Top as desired.
Adjust the amount of chipotle pepper to your taste. If you go with 1, the chili will be quite mild in spice. If you go with the full 3, it gives it a good kick! Which is what we love!
The chili will thicken up even more as leftovers. If needed, add a splash of veggie broth when reheating to loosen it up.
Prep time will be significantly less if you use pre-cut butternut squash.
For vegan / dairy free - be sure to use appropriate toppings as needed!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 622mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 3g Protein: 10g