Crockpot Vegetarian Chili with Farro
Cozy up with this amazing crockpot vegetarian chili with farro! Filled with fresh veggies, beans and chewy farro, this meatless chili will have you coming back for more, especially when served with your favorite toppings. Dairy free and vegan.
Let me share with you my newest obsession. Farro. I can’t get enough of it lately.
Why, I have no idea but I am suddenly alllll about it. My husband is certainly a good sport when I get into one of these crazes – he happily eats whatever I put in front of him.
Even if we have had farro for oh, a few times within the last week. And lentils – I’m on quite a kick with those right now too.
But we’ll talk lentils another time. For now we’re going to stick with farro.
More specifically this crockpot vegetarian chili with farro.
Because we’ve had this at least three times lately – and I have more stashed in my freezer for another day (side note – this chili freezes really well!).
And it’s super simple. Chop a few veggies and throw it all in your crockpot. And that’s it. Easy peasy.
But the best part is that this is a nice and hearty vegetarian chili with a spice level that you can adjust to your own tastes.
Filled with plenty of beans, chewy farro and lots of veggies.
And did I mention it was easy? Oh yes, yes I did.
Additional Chili Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Vegetarian Pumpkin Lentil Chili
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili
- White Bean Salsa Verde Chili
- Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili
- Sausage and Beef Chili
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the chili:
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced*
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Topping / serving ideas:
- plain greek yogurt or dairy free plain yogurt
- dairy free sour cream
- sliced green onions
- chopped cilantro
- shredded regular or dairy free cheese
- sliced avocado
- tortilla chips
- Add all of the ingredients for the chili to a 6-quart crockpot. Give it a good stir then cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (I do 8 hours in my crockpot).
- The chili should have thickened up slightly by the time it is done and the veggies should be nice and tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Top as desired.
*Adjust the amount of chipotle pepper to your taste. If you go with 1, the chili will be really mild in spice. We like to add the full 3, to give it a good kick (but that’s just our preference!).
The chili will thicken up even more as leftovers. If needed, add a splash of veggie broth when reheating to loosen it up.
Be sure to serve with appropriate toppings to keep this vegan / dairy free.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 724mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 13g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.