Trail Mix Applesauce Bread
Fluffy, moist and healthy trail mix applesauce bread! Made with wholesome ingredients like whole wheat flour, coconut, nuts and raisins, it’s the perfect snack or sweet treat. Dairy free and soy free.
Trail mix applesauce bread! Or snack cake? Or quick bread?
Oh goodness me, the possibilities are endless for what we could call this.
But oh this recipe. I’m pretty excited to share this one with you. Because it’s the most perfect wholesome baking recipe for January!
It’s naturally sweetened, made with white whole wheat flour and oat bran, and uses mostly applesauce to keep it nice and moist.
It’s fluffy, it’s delicious AND quite a bit of fun. Because … mix-ins! <– i.e. the trail mix part of the bread.
We have some coconut. Some nuts, some raisins, some dark chocolate. I’m having too much fun just even talking about it.
And all that goodness combines into one oh-so-snackable quick bread. Or cake? Or loaf? Okay, no really, I’m stopping now.
Tips & Tricks
- First up, the mix-ins. You can absolutely change these based on your taste, but please make sure to use the same total amount. For example, if you hate raisins, you could sub those out for more chocolate or nuts, etc. etc.
- I’d encourage you to stick with the white whole wheat flour here – it helps keep the bread from getting overly heavy. Whole wheat pastry flour should also work as well (although I haven’t tried it myself).
- Be sure to use dairy free chocolate if needed for your diet.
- I find that a serrated knife works best to cut this bread because of all those fun mix-ins.
- This bread is sooo good warm. I like to pop a piece in the microwave for about 30 seconds – the chocolate will get a little melty and it’s just so so scrumptious.
- Once completely cool, store the bread in an airtight container at room temp. I like to put a piece or two of paper towel down first in the container, then add the bread – this helps keep the bread at just the right texture.
Additional Quick Breads You Might Enjoy:
- Spiced Sweet Potato Bread
- Orange Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
- Olive Oil Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Olive Oil Bread
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Bread
- Pear Bread with Oatmeal Streusel
- Dairy Free Lemon Drizzle Cake
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup oat bran
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil (or another neutral oil)
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup raisins (golden or regular)
- ½ cup chopped raw pecans or walnuts
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips*
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper (cut a big enough piece so that the paper hangs over the edges of the pan on two sides). Spray lightly with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the white whole wheat flour, oat bran, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda and sea salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, oil, honey and applesauce until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the raisins, nuts, chocolate and coconut (the batter will be on the thick side!).
- Transfer to the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with some extra coconut.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean and the bread is golden brown.
- Set the pan on a wire rack. Let cool completely (or at least 20 minutes!), then use the parchment overhang to lift out of the pan. Cut into squares.
*To keep this dairy free - be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.