Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
This dreamy, creamy dairy free hot chocolate will be a hit with both kids and adults alike! Made with just four simple ingredients, it’s incredibly easy to make and just as delicious as regular hot cocoa! Vegan & gluten free.
Grab your favorite cozy blanket, light up that fireplace and let’s make some dreamy dairy free hot chocolate!
And oh do I think you’re gonna love this recipe.
It’s rich and creamy, without being too over the top decadent. And when topped off with some coconut whipped cream?
Cozy. Winter. Perfection.
But. We haven’t even gotten to the best part. This homemade hot cocoa comes together in a snap. You can have it ready in 10 minutes or less.
Yep, we are so ready for you winter! Armed with mugs of dairy free hot cocoa alllllll season long.
How To Make Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
Add everything to a saucepan. First up, we’ll add some almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, dairy free chocolate chips and a touch of sugar to a small saucepan.
Heat over medium-low. We’ll set that sucker over medium / medium-low and cook, whisking occasionally, until heated and smooth.
Pour into mugs. We’ll pour our creamy cocoa into two mugs, top with some whipped coconut cream (or marshmallows!) and enjoy.
You can also make this in the microwave – instructions are included down in the recipe.
Tips & Tricks For This Non Dairy Hot Chocolate
- Let’s talk substitutions. You can use brown sugar, granulated sugar or even maple syrup in place of the coconut sugar. Really anything goes – just adjust to your own taste.
- You can also substitute the almond milk with another non dairy milk of choice. Oat milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, soy milk. Just about anything will do.
- If you don’t use a vanilla flavored milk, I’d suggest adding in a splash of vanilla extract.
- You can use dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet (SO GOOD).
- Now, as far as the chocolate chips go, my personal favorite non dairy brand is Enjoy Life (not sponsored, just what I love and use).
- Along those lines, So Delicious Coco Whip is my favorite store-bought coconut whipped cream (also not sponsored!). You can find it in the freezer section of certain grocery stores.
- And finally, if you go for marshmallows – be sure to use an appropriate brand if you’re vegan or gluten free.
Additional Flavor Ideas
Want to kick things up a notch and go beyond classic hot chocolate?
Here are a few ideas to try out (just add to the saucepan along with the rest of the ingredients):
- Peppermint Hot Cocoa – add ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract (OUR FAVORITE!)
- Mexican Hot Cocoa – add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Gingerbread Hot Cocoa – add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Peanut Butter Hot Cocoa – add 2 to 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Of course, these are just starting points. Feel free to adjust any of the amounts to your own taste.
Additional Chocolate Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Chocolate Golden Milk
- Dairy Free Brownies
- Coconut Oil Oatmeal Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter S’mores Cookies
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Bread
- Brownie Batter Hummus
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- coconut whipped cream or marshmallows, for serving
- Add the almond milk, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and coconut sugar to a small saucepan and set it over medium / medium low heat.
- Cook, whisking occasionally, until smooth and the milk is steaming (don’t let it come to a boil).
- Pour into two mugs and serve topped with coconut whipped cream or marshmallows!
Want to make this in the microwave instead? Split the milk between two mugs then heat each in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until warm. Divide the cocoa powder, chocolate and sugar between the mugs and give each a good whisk. Pop them back in the microwave individually and heat again until it reaches your desired temperature, whisking to smooth everything out.
See the post above for optional flavor ideas and info on substitutions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 5mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 24g Protein: 3g