Caramel Latte Thumbprint Cookies
These dreamy caramel latte thumbprint cookies are perfectly soft, thick and filled with coffee flavor. With gooey caramel and finished with a touch of sea salt, they are perfect for holiday cookie trays!
Cookies. Cookies everywhere. Our holiday party was this past weekend and I pretty much baked up a storm.
While our friends did manage to eat an impressive amount of sweets, we still wound up with quite a bit leftover – since I tend to take things a little too far and got a little too excited about all the baking and hence went a little overboard. Not surprising.
And now there are still cookies everywhere.
Somebody come save me. Or my hips. Come save my hips and take away the cookies. Please?
But really, let’s be honest. I don’t want you to take away the cookies. I’ll just workout instead. That will save my hips.
Because I need a few more bites of these caramel latte thumbprint cookies.
I made these a while back but wanted to test them one more time before sharing them here on the blog. Do you see what I do for you? Eat way too many cookies, that’s what.
And force-feed them to my friends. All in the name of quality control, right? I don’t think they minded eating these though.
A thick cream cheese cookie stuffed with a bit of espresso powder to give it that coffee flavor. And then filled with gooey caramel and topped off with a little sea salt for that sweet and salty goodness.
No, I don’t think they minded one little bit.
Additional Cookie Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Cookies
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies
- Vanilla Chai Shortbread Cookies
- Grandma’s Butter Horns
- Snowball Cookies
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the cookies:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 6 ounces caramel candies, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
To make the cookies:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed for about 1 minute, until well blended. Add in the granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat again on medium speed until light and well-combined, about 2 minutes. Add in the flour, baking powder, espresso powder and salt. Mix on low until just combined.
- Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape the chilled dough into 1-inch balls (a heaping tablespoon or so of dough). Place on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Use your thumb (or a wine cork works really well) to make a deep indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 13 to 16 minutes, until lightly golden brown and set. If needed, as soon as the cookies come out of the oven, use a small spoon (or the wine cork again) to reinforce the well in the center of each cookie.
- Let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before filling.
To make the filling:
- Add the caramels and heavy cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until the mixture is smooth. You want the caramel to be easy to spoon into the indentations in the cookies.
- Spoon a small amount of caramel into the center of each cookie. Top with a sprinkle of sea salt. If the caramel starts to harden up, microwave for a few seconds and give it a good stir to get it back to the right consistency.
*Espresso powder is an ingredient you can’t usually find at your regular grocery store. You can buy it online or at specialty stores like Sur La Table, Williams and Sonoma, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 27 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 56mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 11g Protein: 1g