Roasted Sweet Potato and Brown Butter Flatbreads
Easy and delicious roasted sweet potato and brown butter flatbreads! A perfect appetizer or weeknight dinner. With a naan base, brown butter sauce and plenty of cheese.
Hello gorgeous. And yes, I’m talking straight at that little bowl of deliciously nutty brown butter. With that pretty caramel color. And the way it works magic on food. Magic.
But maybe you already knew that? If not, have I convinced you? Either way, you’re going to want to make these sweet potato flatbreads stat. Pronto. Soon!
They are one of my (many) new favorite summer meals. I’m not really sure why, but I associate flatbread with summer. So I just roll with it and eat it as often as possible this time of the year.
Or maybe I should say I use summer as an excuse to eat flatbread as often as possible. That sounds about right.
So these flatbreads started out after I had something similar at a local restaurant. But this was months ago and at this point I honestly don’t even know if they taste at all similar.
I have this problem where I write down ideas for recipes for the blog … and then I forget about them because I get so excited about something else.
It’s okay though. Because eventually I do remember … even though at that point I can’t quite put my finger on what exactly I was trying to re-create in the first place.
But it really doesn’t matter, because these flatbreads are pretty little gems.
With a slightly crisp naan crust, roasted sweet potatoes (love love!), some garlic, mozzarella and ricotta. And a little spinach to throw in some greens.
Plus the magic stuff. Which you are going to use to brush on like a sorta sauce. I die. So good.
Additional Flatbread Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Veggie Pesto Flatbread Pizza
- Summer Garden Veggie Flatbreads
- Bacon, Brie and Pear Flatbreads
- Blueberry Basil Ricotta Flatbreads
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 4 pieces whole wheat naan bread
- about 2 cups freshly grated mozzarella
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¾ to 1 cup roughly chopped baby spinach leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a rimmed baking sheet and then add in the olive oil and garlic. Toss to combine and then spread in an even layer.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Meanwhile, set a small skillet over medium heat. Add the butter chunks to the skillet. Let the butter melt and then continue to cook, whisking frequently, until it begins to brown (this takes several minutes). You should see brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Once you see those bits, turn off the heat and continue to whisk constantly for about 30 seconds, until the butter is golden brown. Be careful not to burn the butter - those bits can turn black quickly. Transfer the browned butter to a small bowl (make sure you get all those caramel bits in the pan!).
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set two pieces of the naan on each sheet. Generously brush each piece with some the browned butter. Top each with the mozzarella, the sweet potatoes and then drop small dollops of the ricotta over the tops.
- Bake for about 10 to 13 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese is nice and melted, rotating the pans once during baking. During the last 2 to 3 minutes of baking, top each flatbread with some of the spinach. Slice and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 422mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 13g