Mediterranean Chickpea and Lentil Salad
Healthy, fresh and filling, this mediterranean chickpea and lentil salad is perfect for lunch or dinner! With roasted vegetables and a zippy lemon dressing, it’s packed with flavor. Gluten free and vegetarian with dairy free and vegan options.
Spell it with me now. Med-i-terr-an-ean.
Fact. I can’t for the life of me get it correct on the first try. Ever. And I’ve had a lot of practice at this point.
And yet we still are not friends. It trips me up all the time. And then I get cranky because goodness gracious how on earth do I not have this down by now?
I have a little problem with being a total perfectionist, if you can’t already tell. But it’s okay, I’ve been this way my entire life. I’m used to it!
But anyway, let’s talk salad.
About This Chickpea and Lentil Salad
Specifically this chickpea and lentil salad, which is an excellent make-ahead lunch or an easy dinner. Win win.
With tender lentils as a base, it’s jazzed up with plenty of delicious roasted veggies, like red onion, zucchini and eggplant.
And while everything is still warm, you’ll toss it with a slightly lemony dressing and a touch of fresh herbs.
And then serve it with lots of pita chips for a nice crunch.
Lentils. I totally ♥ you.
Additional Lentil Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Vegetarian Pumpkin Lentil Chili
- White Bean Salsa Verde Chili
- Fall Lentil Salad
- Chard and Lentil Vegetable Soup
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the salad:
- 1 cup green lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained well
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey*
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup crumbled feta**
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
To make the salad:
- Add the lentils and the water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, partially cover with a lid and let simmer gently for about 20 to 25 minutes, until tender but not mushy (if the water evaporates before they are done cooking, add a little more as needed). Drain off any excess water.
- Meanwhile, add the red onion, zucchini and eggplant to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and then sprinkle with the salt. Toss to combine then spread in an even layer.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the chickpeas and drained tomatoes to the bowl. When the lentils are done cooking, add them to the same bowl.
To make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, vinegar, salt, oregano and pepper. Add in the olive oil and whisk vigorously until combined. Pour the dressing into the bowl with the lentils and toss to combine. Add in the feta and fresh parsley and toss again.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
*To keep this vegan - use maple syrup instead of the honey.
**To keep this dairy free / vegan - omit the feta and add sliced pitted olives to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 9gSugar: 11gProtein: 10g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.