Chard and Lentil Vegetable Soup
Light yet filling, this healthy chard and lentil vegetable soup is perfect for cooler weather! Packed with zucchini, carrots, tomatoes and swiss chard, you’ll want to cozy up with a bowl today!
You didn’t think I was done sharing soups with you since it’s Spring right?
Honestly, it doesn’t really feel all that spring-like at the moment anyway. It’s been flipping back and forth between warmer weather and cold, dreary rain. And we might get some snow on Tuesday. I’m soooo over it.
I’m ready for nice sunny days. Period. But mother nature doesn’t feel like listening to me I guess. No soup for her.
But there is plenty of soup for me … and you. And guess who else? My not-so-very-well mannered little beagle.
The day I was taking photos of this soup the FedEx guy came and I had to sign for a package. I was gone for maybe 30 seconds …. 30 seconds!! And I came back to find her straddling a chair with her two paws up on the table … lapping up the soup.
She didn’t seem to care when I yelled at her for touching the food. She was too excited about getting some this chard and lentil vegetable soup in her tummy.
About This Chard Lentil Soup
And I mean it is really tasty so I guess I can’t fault her for that.
This is one of those soups that I think is perfect for the transition from winter to spring – comforting and warm yet still nice and light.
It is full of different veggies, including one of my favorites at the moment – swiss chard. Can’t get enough.
And then with a good amount of lentils, for a little bulk.
Healthy, filling and satisfying. It goes perfect with a loaf of crusty bread for dinner … or with some pita chips the next day for lunch.
Additional Soup Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Vegan Zuppa Toscana
- Mexican Minestrone Soup
- Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- Turmeric Quinoa Vegetable Soup
- Sweet Potato Swiss Chard Soup
- Roasted Vegetable Soup
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked through
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)*
- Set a large stockpot over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the onion. Cook until it starts to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add in the carrots and zucchini. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in the vegetable broth, tomatoes, lentils, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce the heat to medium / medium-low and let simmer for about 35 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Add in the swiss chard and cook for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with some parmesan cheese.
*To keep this dairy free / vegan - omit the parmesan cheese for serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 640mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 8g Protein: 8g