Skillet Chicken Fajita Whole Wheat Pasta
This healthy skillet chicken fajita whole wheat pasta recipe couldn’t be easier! Everything cooks in just one skillet – even the pasta! Filled with bell pepper, jalapeno and warm spices!
Food! We’re back to chatting about food! Yay! And we are most certainly kicking the year off on the right foot with this chicken fajita pasta.
We’re talking one skillet. ONE! Everything cooks right on up in there. Even the pasta. Yesss.
But first, I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for your patience over the last few weeks. There was so much going on behind the scenes with the transition to the new website that I had to step back a bit from the recipes. But now! Now, we’re back in business.
So let’s do this.
A healthy pasta dish that only requires you to clean up one skillet. That’s the best! Because lots of dishes? The worst.
Plus! It can easily be made vegetarian / vegan (I’ve included notes for this down in the recipe itself). I like to give you options. Options are good.
And one more selling point. It re-heats very nicely. So if you want to make this on the weekend, you can just store in the fridge in an airtight container and then eat as desired throughout the week! Big time love.
So, the key to this recipe is that we are cooking in layers, if you will. We’ll saute the chicken and veggies first in the skillet and then remove to a bowl. This way they keep a nice texture in the final dish.
Then the pasta, some broth and diced tomatoes get all groovy together in the skillet and simmer away until the pasta is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
It all gets mixed back together and then we chow down!
While the dish definitely can stand on its own as a meal, we are kinda sorta obsessed with serving it with roasted green beans on the side. Cannot get enough!
Tools I Love & Use To Make This Recipe (contains affiliate links):
- Calphalon Nonstick 13-inch Deep Skillet – This skillet is awesome. It’s nice and deep, so nothing ever overflows when stirring!
Additional Skillet Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Vegetable and Black Bean Taco Skillet
- Stuffed Pepper Quinoa Skillet
- Lemon Garlic Pasta Skillet with Green Beans
- Eggplant Parmesan Pasta Skillet
- Summer Vegetable Skillet Enchiladas
- Skillet Mexican Brown Rice Casserole
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the skillet:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 ¾ cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat fusilli pasta*
- ½ cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or milk of choice)
- juice of ½ a lime
- chopped fresh cilantro
- thinly sliced green onions
- Season the chicken pieces with some salt and pepper.
- Set a large nonstick skillet (that has a lid) over medium heat. Add in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When hot, add the chicken to the pan. Toss to coat and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through and starting to brown. With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken pieces from the pan to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Set the skillet back over medium heat and add in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. When hot, add in the onion, peppers and jalapeno. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Stir in the garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and cayenne and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Remove the veggies from the pan to the bowl with the chicken and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and pasta to the skillet. Bring the liquid just to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat and simmer fairly vigorously for about 11 to 14 minutes, stirring occasionally (and more frequently toward the end of the cooking time), or until the pasta is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the milk, lime juice and the chicken / veggies. Allow the pasta to rest for about 5 minutes before serving. Taste and season with additional salt / cayenne as needed. Garnish with the cilantro and green onions.
*You can use another smaller whole wheat pasta shape here - just make sure that it has an 11 to 14 minute cook time (according to package directions).
Don’t dig the chicken? Skip that step and add in 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed) when you add the milk!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 46mg Sodium: 551mg Carbohydrates: 68g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 13g Protein: 29g