Watermelon Basil Agua Fresca
Easy and super refreshing, this watermelon basil agua fresca is the PERFECT summer drink to beat the heat! Made with just four ingredients (including water!) and no added sugar. Dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
Let’s all cool off with a super refreshing drink, yes?
Because summer has most definitely arrived (and settled in for the season I might add) here in lovely North Carolina.
And while I definitely love the lazy feel of summer, this crazy warm weather means we need to be prepared with plenty, and I do mean plenty, of watermelon basil agua fresca.
We’ve had a pitcher of this dark pink beauty in the fridge for at least the last three weeks now and I mayyyy be slightly addicted.
We are huge water drinkers at our house but I am kinda completely loving having another option on hand that’s so refreshing.
Now, today’s recipe is also embarrassingly easy. We’re talking four (count em’ four) ingredients. One of which is water, so I’m not really sure that actually counts.
And it will only take you about 10 minutes to make. Not too shabby indeed.
Tips & Tricks For This Watermelon Agua Fresca
- If you use pre-cut watermelon chunks and the chunks are huge, cube them down so that they are smaller before measuring out the 6 cups.
- The basil flavor will infuse more and more as this sits. It’s never overpowering, so have no fear. This is more of just an FYI.
- Right before serving, give the agua fresca a quick stir. It will separate while chilling in the fridge but it comes back together in a flash.
- While you don’t have to strain the mixture, I really like to take the extra step. It gets rid of any seeds that may have gotten mixed in and makes it so smooth and silky.
- I personally think watermelon is plenty sweet already and love the recipe as written. But feel free to add a sweetener to your taste. I think agave, maple syrup or honey would be best since they are all liquid and will combine more easily.
- If the basil is just too weird, you can leave it out. It is fantastic as plain watermelon agua fresca as well.
Additional Watermelon Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Watermelon Berry Smoothie
- Creamy Watermelon Coconut Milkshake
- Watermelon and Cream Ice Pops
- Watermelon Salad with Sriracha Vinaigrette
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 ½ cups water
- juice of ½ a small lime
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- Add the watermelon, water and lime juice to a blender. Process until smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve (using a wooden spoon or spatula to help push it through), then pour into a pitcher.
- Add the basil to the pitcher and use a wooden spoon to lightly muddle the leaves a bit.
- Chill in the refrigerator for several hours until nice and cold. Give it a stir then serve over ice!
Be sure to chill the agua fresca before serving - this allows the basil to infuse into the water.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 28mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.