Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
Creamy and flavorful, this sweet potato corn chowder is packed with fresh summer corn, warm spices and dreamy coconut milk! And when served with plenty of fresh basil, makes for a fantastic meatless meal. Dairy free and vegan.
Today we talk this dreamy summer soup – sweet potato corn chowder!
So, at the very very tail end of last summer I had a sweet potato corn chowder at a local restaurant. And I was completely enamored.
Slightly creamy, packed with fresh corn. It was total and complete love.
But of course this love story started right around the time that fresh corn disappeared at the grocery store for the season. Womp womp.
I’ve been itching to recreate it at home since then and must have looked like a complete nut-o when corn reappeared at the store a few weeks ago.
Yes, I was that person who ran over to it in the produce aisle like it was some kind of long lost friend.
ANYWAY, we’ve had this soup pretty much once a week ever since.
It’s flavorful and oh-so creamy from both the sweet potato and canned coconut milk.
It’s filled with perfectly wonderful fresh corn. And when topped with loads of basil and served with some crusty bread? So good.
Added bonus? It’s not hard at all to pull together.
We chop up a bunch of veggies. Get it all into a big ol’ pot and then let it simmer away until the potatoes are tender and it gets nice and groovy.
At the very end we’ll puree just a small amount of the soup to give it even more creamy goodness (from the sweet potato). Just top with the fresh basil and you’re good to enjoy.
Not exactly super traditional corn chowder but just oh so fun.
Additional Summer Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Dairy Free Corn Chowder (a more classic spin!)
- Herbed Zucchini and Corn Orzo Salad
- Blueberry Corn Salsa
- Zucchini and Corn Tacos with Guacamole
- Zucchini Fritters with Tomato Corn Salsa
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into ½ inch chunks
- 5 medium ears corn, kernels removed (about 2 ¾ cups)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons worcestershire sauce*
- chopped fresh basil, for serving
- Set a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the onion and carrots and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in the broth, coconut milk, sweet potatoes, corn kernels, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon and worcestershire.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Turn off the heat.
- Very carefully, transfer about 3 cups of the soup to a blender and process until smooth. Return the pureed soup back to the pot and mix until combined.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve topped with plenty of fresh basil!
*Be sure to use vegan / vegetarian worcestershire sauce to keep this vegan / vegetarian!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 6g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.