Roasted Winter Vegetable Tacos
It’s time! Time for our first roasted veggie recipe of the year!
In the form of these delightful roasted winter vegetable tacos!
Because when we combine roasted veggies + tacos into one light yet filling AND totally delicious meal!? It means we are completely crushing it on the January dinners front. Crushing it.
SO! Lemme tell you all about these tacos!
First, they are ridiculously simple. We toss together some butternut squash and brussels sprouts and let them roast in the oven until tender and slightly browned and full of that caramelized goodness we know and love when it comes to roasted veggies.
While baking away in the oven, we quickly saute some crunchy red cabbage until juuuust wilted. And! We whisk together a simple honey mustard sauce (honey + mustard + a smidge of olive oil).
The sauce gets mixed together with the veggies after roasting (along with some walnuts!) … and then we assemble our tacos and chow down!
They’re sauce-y and crunchy and packed with flavor! A just a hint different from regular ol’ tacos to make them a little interesting … and jazzy!
Jazzy tacos for jazzy January. <— I like it!
Tips & Tricks For These Roasted Winter Vegetable Tacos
- I use pre-cut butternut squash when making these tacos! Keeps it nice and simple for during the week. If you are cutting up a squash yourself, the prep time will be a little longer.
- You want your brussels sprouts and butternut squash chunks to be about the same size so that they roast evenly in the oven. Just keep that in mind when you’re prepping the dish!
- If you’ve never used walnuts in tacos before, please don’t skip them!! Because they add just the perfect crunch-y touch! However, feel free to use another nut in their place – I think pecans would be great here as well.
- You could absolutely substitute green cabbage for the red cabbage. <— But that purple color tho! So pretty!
Raise your hand if you love honey mustard as much as I do!! If so, you’re also totally gonna want to make these honey mustard roasted vegetables (!!). You’re welcome!
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the veggies:
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash (about ¾ inch chunks)
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (quartered if large)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
For the tacos:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- corn or flour tortillas, warmed, for serving
For the veggies:
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Add the butternut squash and brussels sprouts to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then spread in an even layer. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until tender and starting to brown. Remove from the oven, then sprinkle with the walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, dijon and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Pour the mixture over the veggies, then toss gently to combine. Taste and season with additional salt / pepper if needed.
For the tacos:
- Toward the end of the bake time, add the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. When hot, add in the cabbage and salt. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, tossing frequently, until the cabbage starts to wilt down (you want it to soften, but not so much that it loses its crunch). Remove from the heat.
- To serve, spoon some of the butternut squash mixture onto a tortilla. Top with some of the cabbage, then serve immediately!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 448mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 13g Protein: 7g