Crockpot Barley and Bean Tacos
Hearty and healthy crockpot barley and bean tacos! With a veggie packed barley bean filling and finished with a delicious avocado chipotle cream, this meatless meal will have you coming back for more!
Hi! How are ya? How was your weekend? It was beautiful here on Saturday and I soaked up every single second I could outside.
But more importantly, my mom is here! She flew in yesterday and I have big plans for her week-long visit. You know, restaurants, shopping at the outlets – all very important things. Yes yes.
Anywho, I made you some tacos.
And they involve the crockpot so they are super duper easy. Dump in everything for the filling, walk away and return to a delicious dinner.
Or if you are like me and make it when you are home all day, you can be tortured by the awesome smells wafting from the kitchen that are making you crazy hungry and wanting to eat everything in sight.
About These Barley Bean Tacos
And this recipe makes a ton of food. So you can have as many tacos as you want, which is always a very good thing, yes? I think I like mexican food a little too much for my own good.
These tacos are nice and filling, as they are packed with barley, beans and veggies.
Plus, you can then top them off with a creamy, slightly smoky avocado chipotle cream, some feta and lots of chopped cilantro.
Please excuse the fact that the avocado cream isn’t actually on the tacos in the pictures.
I meant to top them right before I started shooting and then apparently completely forgot. In my defense I am constantly swatting away one hungry little beagle who likes to try to steal the food off the table while I’m taking photos.
I can’t even begin to tell you how many photos I have with her nose in the shot. She thinks she’s so sneaky but that snout is hard to miss.
Additional Taco Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Healthy Breakfast Tacos
- Roasted Winter Vegetable Tacos
- Zucchini and Corn Tacos
- Vegan Black Bean Tacos
- Lentil Sweet Potato Tacos
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the filling:
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup barley*
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- juice of ½ a lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
For the avocado chipotle cream:**
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1 ½ tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- flour or corn tortillas
- chopped fresh cilantro
- crumbled feta***
For the filling:
- Add all of the filling ingredients to a crockpot. Give it a good stir then cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. You want most of the liquid to be absorbed and the barley to be nice and tender and chewy.
For the avocado cream:
- Remove the pit from the avocado and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl. Mash well with a fork.
- Add in the greek yogurt, half and half, minced chipotle and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon some of the filling onto a tortilla. Top with some of the avocado cream, cilantro and feta.
*I use hulled barley for this recipe (I buy it from the bulk bins at whole foods). If you can’t find hulled barley and use pearled barley instead, you will likely be able to reduce the cooking time by about an hour or so since pearled barley cooks quicker.
**To keep these dairy free / vegan - use plain dairy free yogurt and non dairy milk in the chipotle cream.
***To keep these dairy free / vegan - omit the feta cheese for serving.
The filling that you cook in the crockpot makes a ton of food (i.e. enough for at least 20 tacos!). For the avocado cream, the amounts listed are enough for about 8 to 10 tacos, depending on how much you use. I just make another batch of the avocado cream when we are ready to eat the rest of the filling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 166mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Protein: 3g