Pork Tacos with Mango Salsa
Each week I sit down and make a meal plan. I’ve had a few people tell me that I’m crazy for planning each meal, but I completely love it. I don’t wind up wandering around the grocery store trying to decide what to buy. I also don’t wind up with lots of extra items that go to waste since they don’t fit into any meal I end up making. And most importantly I don’t come home to an empty fridge after work on days when I’m completely starving.
I promise I have a point to this story. Because of my obsessive meal planning, we often don’t eat the same meal more than once a month. This is also since I have so many recipes I want to try and we like the variety. However, that was not the case with these tacos. We liked them so much that I made them again a few days later. And the second time we had them I even managed to get pictures so I could share them here with you.
These pork tacos have a bit of heat, which is balanced out perfectly by the mango salsa. We also really like that these have pork, instead of our usual ground turkey (or sometimes beef). They are simple to put together, which is a plus during the week. Judging by the fact that we scarfed these down very quickly, it’s safe to say that we really enjoyed these and I think you will too.
Yield: 3 to 4 servings
Pork Tacos with Mango Salsa
Recipe for weeknight pork tacos with mango salsa. With a slightly spicy pork filling, queso fresco and a sweet mango salsa!
- 1 ½ cups chopped mango (1-2 mangos depending on size)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotles in adobo
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco
- 4 to 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- To chop the mango, begin by slicing a thin piece off one end, so it can rest on the bottom. Next, cut off the skin in thin strips from top to bottom. There is one large flat seed on the inside of the mango. Cut along each side of the seed to remove the flesh (you’ll be able to tell if you hit the seed while cutting). Trim any remaining flesh from along the seed to get the most out of your mango. Chop all the flesh and place in a small bowl.
- Add in half of the onion, half of the cilantro, ¼ teaspoon salt and the pepper. Slice the lime in half and add in the juice from half of the lime. Stir well and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the olive oil and heat until hot. Add in the remaining onion, chipotle and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until the onion is softened. Add in the ground pork and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until it is no longer pink and cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the remaining cilantro, juice from the remaining half of the lime and queso fresco.
- To serve, warm the flour tortillas for about 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave. Spoon the pork mixture down the center of a tortilla and then top with the mango salsa.
Slightly adapted from America’s Test Kitchen The Best Simple Recipes.