Dairy Free Deviled Eggs (No Mayo)
These dreamy dairy free deviled eggs are the perfect easy appetizer or snack! A lighter take on the classic dish, there’s no mayo (or yogurt!) involved. But thanks to a secret ingredient, they’re still jam-packed with flavor. Gluten free and vegetarian.
Deviled eggs. They’re the perfect easy appetizer or snack.
You can make them for brunches, parties, holidays, just to have on hand in the fridge. You really can’t go wrong.
And while the classic version usually is dairy free, I’ll be the first to admit that mayo (i.e. one of the key ingredients) isn’t really my thing.
And I know a lot of you feel the same way.
Which brings us to today.
And this modern take that features no mayo OR yogurt … because let’s be real, it can be a total pain to find plain and unsweetened dairy free versions.
So, what DO these include? Hummus! I know, it sounds a bit odd but trust me it works.
You get a rich, creamy and flavorful filling, all without a lick of mayo.
Yes to the please.
How To Make Dairy Free Deviled Eggs
So, let’s talk about how this easy appetizer goes down:
Prepare eggs. First up, we’ll hard boil some eggs, then let them cool completely before peeling the shells.
Mix up filling. Next, we’ll scoop out the egg yolks, then mash with plenty of flavorings like hummus, dijon and spices.
Fill em’ up. We’ll evenly distribute the yolk mixture in the egg white halves, then garnish as desired.
You can serve right away OR let them chill in the fridge before enjoying.
Tips & Tricks
- First things first. Feel free to adjust ANY of the flavorings in the filling to your liking.
- With that said, be careful not to add more than the listed ¼ teaspoon vinegar – it can get overpowering quickly. If you don’t dig vinegar, you can use fresh lemon juice instead (or even omit completely). Totally up to you.
- If you want to keep the filling neat and pretty, use a piping bag to fill the eggs instead of just spooning it in. If you don’t have a piping bag on hand, a ziplock baggie with the corner snipped off will do the trick.
- You can absolutely serve these right away after assembling. However, I find they taste best after they’ve had a bit of time to chill in the fridge and the flavors have really melded.
- Want to jazz these bad boys up? Try topping with some chopped or crumbled bacon. So good.
- And finally, my favorite way to hard boil eggs is this method from Lisa over at Downshiftology. It truly works perfectly every time.
How To Store
Fridge: Place the deviled eggs in an airtight container and transfer to the refrigerator. They’ll keep for up to 2 days.
Additional Dairy Free Appetizers You Might Enjoy:
- Dairy Free French Onion Dip
- Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Dairy Free Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Dairy Free Nachos
- Dairy Free Chex Mix
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, cooled and peeled
- ¼ cup plain hummus
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon worcestershire sauce*
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped chives or dill, for garnish (optional)
- Slice the hard-boiled eggs in half.
- Scoop out the egg yolks and transfer to a small bowl. Add in the hummus, dijon, vinegar, worcestershire, garlic powder and smoked paprika.
- Mash with a fork until nice and smooth (if needed, add in water a little at a time to get the mixture to smooth out - I usually end up adding a few teaspoons to a tablespoon). Taste and season with salt / pepper as desired.
- Evenly distribute the mixture in the egg white halves, either using a spoon or a piping bag.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of extra smoked paprika plus some fresh herbs if desired.
*If you’re gluten free, be sure to check the ingredients on your worcestershire sauce. Certain brands contain wheat. Additionally, if you’re vegetarian, be sure to use a vegan or vegetarian brand.
Recipe time does NOT include time to hard boil the eggs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 7g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.