Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
You won’t be able to stop snacking on this dreamy dairy free buffalo chicken dip! Perfectly creamy without any cheese or milk, it’s packed with bold flavors and couldn’t be easier to whip up. Excellent for parties, game day or just because, this delicious dip will be gobbled up in no time. Gluten free, egg free and mayo free.
In need of a delicious dip to bring to parties?
Well then say hello to this creamy, dreamy, dairy free buffalo chicken dip!
The classic version of this recipe always seems to be a crowd pleasing favorite BUT it’s definitely a no-go for those of us who can’t do dairy (hello loads of cheese and cream cheese!).
Which brings us to today.
And a dairy free version that will more than satisfy your craving for this classic treat.
Packed with shredded chicken, green onion, spicy hot sauce and a creamy base thanks to the wonder that is the magical cashew nut, it’s downright impossible to resist.
Now, does this taste exactly like the original?
No, of course not, since there’s no cheese involved. BUT it’s still awesomely creamy, packed with flavor and seriously good.
And will definitely make you feel like you’re no longer missing out.
Side note – even my husband who can eat dairy was obsessed with this dip – I’ll call that a win!
How To Make Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
So, let’s quickly discuss how this delicious dip goes down:
Blend cashews. First up, we’ll add some cashews, water and plenty of seasonings to a blender and process until smooth and super creamy.
Mix everything together. We’ll transfer that mixture to a bowl, add in some shredded chicken, hot sauce and green onions, then mix until nice and combined.
Spread in a baking dish. Next, we’ll transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish and use a spatula to spread evenly.
Bake until hot. Finally, we’ll pop that sucker in the oven until warm and slightly bubbly around the edges.
And then, we dip away with carrots, celery, crackers or whatever you can dream up.
Tips & Tricks
- If you forget to soak your cashews overnight, use the following quick soak method instead. Add the cashews to a heatproof bowl, then cover with boiling water. Let soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then proceed with the recipe.
- I highly recommend using a high speed blender as the cashews will blend up so smooth and creamy. You can certainly try using a regular blender, just keep in mind it will take longer to smooth out and won’t have quite as perfect of a consistency (I’ve found cashew based sauces can be a bit grainy in texture with a regular blender).
- Feel free to adjust the hot sauce to your taste. You can go down to about ¼ cup to keep the heat level more mild versus going up to about ½ cup to really kick things up. We personally like the listed ⅓ cup but you do you. Start with less and you can always add more!
- About 1 pound of chicken breast (or slightly over) will give you the required three cups.
- And finally, keep in mind the overall recipe time does NOT include time to cook and shred the chicken.
How To Store
Fridge: Let the dip cool completely then transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to about 4 days.
You can enjoy it cold or reheat gently in the microwave or oven.
Additional Dairy Free Appetizers You Might Enjoy:
- Dairy Free Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Dairy Free Taco Dip
- Sweet Potato Hummus
- Dairy Free French Onion Dip
- Restaurant-Style Hummus
- Dairy Free Deviled Eggs (No Mayo)
- Dairy Free Nachos
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
You won’t be able to stop snacking on this dreamy dairy free buffalo chicken dip! Perfectly creamy without any cheese or milk, it’s packed with bold flavors and couldn’t be easier to whip up. Excellent for parties, game day or just because.
For the dip:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight*
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- ⅓ cup hot sauce, or to taste**
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion, plus extra for garnish
- celery sticks
- carrot sticks
- chips / crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, then add to a high-speed blender along with the water, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, onion powder, parsley, salt and nutritional yeast.
- Blend on high until completely smooth and creamy (stopping if needed to scrape down the sides), about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, then add in the chicken, hot sauce and green onion. Mix until combined, then taste and adjust the flavors as desired (I usually add a pinch or so more salt).
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until warmed through. Garnish the top with extra green onions then serve with your favorite dipping vessels!
*Add the cashews to a small bowl and cover with water. Allow to soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours or overnight. If you forget, a quick soak method is included in the tips & tricks section in the post above.
**I use Frank’s Red Hot Original hot sauce (not sponsored - just what I use). But any hot sauce will work! Be sure to double check the ingredients to make sure it’s dairy free (and gluten free / soy free, etc. as needed for your diet).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 367mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 22g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.
I have never tried a warm dip…this buffalo chicken dip sounds and looks incredibly delicious and moreish.