BLT Cornbread Panzanella
Easy and delicious BLT cornbread panzanella! With crunchy cornbread croutons, salty bacon, crisp arugula, juicy tomatoes and a drizzle of balsamic glaze, it’s a fun twist on the classic sandwich.
Note: This recipe is NOT dairy free. It was published before Cook Nourish Bliss transitioned to dairy free recipes and remains popular with long time readers. You can try using substitutions to make it dairy free, however I have not tested this myself and can’t say how it will turn out.
It’s Monday and we’re talking salad. I know, another salad. Surprise surprise, right?
I was going to try to space the salad train out a bit but I just didn’t want to wait any longer to share this BLT cornbread panzanella with you.
Because … this dish. I do really truly love all the salads I share with you, but this one. It takes the cake.
It’s like a fancied version of a BLT – kinda sorta. But in salad form. With crunchy cornbread croutons and sweet sweet balsamic glaze.
And then the usual suspects – salty bacon, arugula (not necessarily typical but that’s the whole fanciness thing) and juicy tomatoes.
It’s like summer on a plate. Or in a bowl.
I sometimes just stand there and spoon forkfuls into my face before I even get to the point of putting it on a plate or sharing it with the husband.
And you don’t mess with him when it comes to bacon – so this is dangerous territory right here.
We have a rule in this house that whenever I am cooking with bacon it is essential that I make an extra piece for him to eat by itself. Otherwise I don’t hear the end of it.
Additional Salad Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Summer Berry Chopped Salad
- Chopped Asian Chicken Salad
- Spring Vegetable Cobb Salad
- Greek Salad with Roasted Vegetables
- Spinach Power Salad
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 4 cups cubed (1-inch pieces) cornbread*
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked until crispy and cut into bite-sized pieces**
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls, patted dry and sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups baby arugula (or a spinach arugula mix)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- balsamic glaze, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Lay the cornbread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once during baking, until golden brown and nice and toasted. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, add the bacon, tomatoes, cucumber, mozzarella, basil and arugula. Toss to combine. Add in the cooled cornbread cubes as well as the olive oil. Toss gently to combine.
- Scoop onto a dish and drizzle with plenty of balsamic glaze (or to taste!). Serve immediately.
*Use your favorite recipe for the cornbread or something store-bought. Whatever works for you.
**Cook the bacon while the cornbread cubes bake in the oven.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 853mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.