Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles
So please tell me you remember those chocolate orange balls from back in the day? The ones that you could sort of smash and they would crack into orange segments? But they were made of milk chocolate and like infused with orange flavor? Yes? Yes??
Well today I bring a recipe inspired by that candy. But healthier! And for breakfast!
Although, who are we kidding, I’m pretty sure my sister and I used to eat that candy for breakfast. My parents would get us each one for special occasions and I used to hide mine in my room so that I could eat it whenever I wanted. I was also not the slyest little kid and they probably knew exactly what I was doing.
But anyway. We were obsessed with those things. Obsessed.
Do they still make them? Inquiring minds need to know. I foresee a gag Christmas gift in my sister’s future.
But I digress. Let’s get to the waffles at hand!
So today we start with my favorite waffle base. We’re using a lot of white whole wheat flour and some all-purpose flour to help keep them light and fluffy. Check and check.
We’ll infuse the waffles with plenty of orange flavor by rubbing orange zest into a few tablespoons of granulated sugar. I’ve tried this other ways, but this method really gives the most orange goodness in the end result!
Then! We’ll whisk together the wet ingredients – eggs, milk, coconut oil and honey! Which is the primary sweetener for this recipe.
The batter gets all mixed together and we’ll fold in some chopped dark chocolate at the very end. Yum-o.
The waffles cook up into golden brown perfection that we must top off with some orange segments and a touch more chocolate. Must.
Pass me a cup of coffee please.
Pssst. There are lots of other waffle recipe ideas at the end of this post! Scroll down past the recipe to grab em!
Yield: about 8 to 9 (4x4 inch) waffles
Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Recipe for orange and dark chocolate waffles. Made with white whole wheat flour and coconut oil! Filled with orange zest and chopped dark chocolate!
For the waffles:
- 1 ½ tablespoons orange zest (from about 2 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅔ cup chopped dark chocolate
- pure maple syrup or honey
- orange slices
- additional chopped dark chocolate
- In a large bowl, add the orange zest and sugar. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar, until it is nice and fragrant. Add in both kinds of flour, the baking powder and salt. Whisk until well combined. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract, almond extract and honey. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (the batter will be a little lumpy).
- Preheat a waffle maker. When hot, fold the chocolate into the batter. Then, pour the recommended amount of batter into the waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions (making sure you get some of the chocolate each time you pour batter into the iron! It can sink in the batter a bit as it sits!). Cook until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Top the cooked waffles with desired toppings!
Be sure to melt the coconut oil first, then measure out the correct amount! Otherwise you may use too much.
These waffles freeze well! Let the waffles cool completely, then wrap each individually in plastic wrap. Add all the wrapped waffles to a freezer-safe plastic bag and freeze!
Cook Nourish Bliss
Yay for waffles! I’m sharing this recipe as part of a super fun waffle event!
So many waffles, so little time. You can browse below for lots and lots of ideas! Enjoy!
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Churro Waffles by A Nerd Cooks
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Macadamia Nuts and Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Waffles with Horseradish Sauce by Our Good Life
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Brown Sugar Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Neapolitan Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic