Apple Cheddar Meal Bowl
This apple cheddar meal bowl is perfect for fall! A simple dish filled with roasted sweet potato, chickpeas, pecans and a honey dijon vinaigrette!
Monday meal in a bowl! This should totally be a thing.
I mean, meal bowls are just so practical. Easy, filling, simple. And! No side dish required.
We all know how I feel about having to think up side dish ideas for dinners during the week. Bane of my existence.
Although, if we are being honest, I’ll sometimes serve these bowls with some crusty bread. Because, hellooo, carboholic. But that doesn’t count. Bread is easy, I can do bread.
So do you want to know why else I love these apple cheddar meal bowls? Actually, I have two more reasons for you.
1. Apple + cheddar = fall. Cozy sweaters, pretty leaves. And apple and cheddar.
2. This is a perfect make ahead meal. For dinner, for lunch. Whatever floats your boat. You can assemble the whole thing in advance and then just let it come back to room temp before serving.
Perfect for on the go … or picnics even. A fall picnic? Goodness, me. Too much excitement.
How To Make Apple Cheddar Meal Bowls
First, we’ll roast up some veggies. A little red onion, a few sweet potatoes, a touch of garlic.
Next, we’ll whisk together a simple vinaigrette with some honey, dijon and apple cider vinegar. A perfect pair. Wait, triplet? We’ll just stick with pair.
And lastly, we’ll toss it all together with some chickpeas + pecans for protein and some arugula for a bit of freshness. And of course, the apple + cheddar.
I suppose this would also make for a killer side dish. But I’m going to go ahead and keep calling it dinner.
Meal bowls for the win!
Additional Meal Bowl Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Hummus Bowls
- Baked BBQ Tempeh Bowls
- Peanut Chickpea Sweet Potato Bowls
- Roasted Sweet Potato Chickpea Bowls
- Yukon Potato Spring Vegetable Bowls
- Mexican Nourish Bowls
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the veggies:
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium apples, cored and chopped (I like a sweet, crisp apple here!)
- 6 to 8 ounces sharp cheddar, cubed
- ½ cup raw pecans, chopped
- 3 cups lightly packed baby arugula
For the veggies:
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Add the red onion, garlic and sweet potatoes to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread in an even layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until the potatoes are tender. Set aside to cool slightly (about 5 to 10 minutes).
For the dressing:
- While the potatoes are cooling, make the dressing. Add the mustard, honey, vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil to a small bowl. Whisk vigorously until combined.
- Add the chickpeas, apples, cheddar, pecans and arugula to a large bowl. Add in the sweet potatoes and toss gently to combine. Pour in the dressing and toss again to coat. Serve.
This dish keeps well in the fridge for a few days. Just let it come back to room temp before serving. You can heat it back up but then the cheddar cubes melt! So just keep that in mind if you choose to go that route.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 507 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 735mg Carbohydrates: 49g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 20g Protein: 13g