Cucumber Quinoa Salad with Cherries
Filled with sweet cherries, crunchy cucumber and fresh basil, this cucumber quinoa salad is a summer staple! Ready in 35 minutes or less, it’s makes for a perfect side, or top with a protein of choice for dinner. Dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
Raise your hand if you somehow make a giant mess each and every time you enjoy sweet summer cherries. I can’t be alone in this, right?
Don’t even get me started on when I use them in a recipe … the kitchen looks like a war zone with bright red stains everywhere.
But anyway, summer cherries! They are the best, yes? And while most of the cherries I buy tend to get hoarded for snacking, I figured it would be a crying shame not to feature them in at least one recipe this season.
Which brings us to today. And this cucumber quinoa salad with cherries.
Sweet. Savory. And a most excellent side dish for any summer meal, potluck or gathering.
It’s fresh and hearty and satisfying. And I would highly encourage you to serve this along with burgers of any kind. Veggie, beef, chicken! I know firsthand that it goes well with all three.
I would also encourage you to save some of the salad for leftovers … because it makes for a fantastic lunch. Just saying.
Tips & Tricks For This Cucumber Quinoa Salad
- I personally love this dish warm. However! It’s still pretty darn awesome cold. But, if you can enjoy it warm, do it.
- If you use regular dark cherries, they do bleed a tad into the other components of the salad. It’s not horrible, but it does happen a bit. So if you’re really particular about that sort of thing, you can go for the “white” rainier cherries instead.
Tools I Love & Use To Make This Recipe (contains affiliate links):
OXO Good Grips Cherry Pitter – I finally broke down and bought a cherry pitter last summer. Guys, it’s a game changer. And totally worth the minimal price tag!
Additional Quinoa Salad Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Summer Veggie Quinoa Salad
- Blueberry Quinoa Salad
- Cranberry Quinoa Salad
- Fall Quinoa Salad
- Broccoli Quinoa Salad
- Kale and Quinoa Rainbow Salad
- Strawberry Quinoa Salad
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to here from you.
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium-large cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 cup pitted and halved fresh cherries
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
For the salad:
- Add the quinoa and broth to a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Give it a stir, cover, then reduce the heat to medium-low / low and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until the broth is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and let the pan sit covered for 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl, then allow it to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, add the cucumber, green onions, cherries, almonds and basil to the bowl. Toss to combine.
For the dressing:
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Pour into the bowl with the quinoa and toss to combine.
- Taste and season with additional salt / pepper as needed (I usually add about ¼ teaspoon additional salt). Serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.