Healthy Maple Gingerbread Loaf
Greetings from holiday central! With Thanksgiving behind us, I have taken to turning our house into a Christmas wonderland. And by wonderland, what I really mean is that it looks like a snow globe exploded throughout the entire main living area.
Forget about the fact that we haven’t even really decorated for like, normal life yet. Because, CHRISTMAS. Priorities.
So! With the current festive state of my house, it seemed only right to kick Christmas recipe season off with this healthy maple gingerbread loaf!
Soft. Fluffy. Moist (<— yes, I said it). Filled with plenty of warm spices and a touch of molasses, it’s spiced but not super duper spicy – i.e. just how I like my gingerbread! And basically tastes like Christmas in cake form.
And … it’s something that you can feel good about eating. Packed with whole wheat flour, applesauce and sweetened with pure maple syrup, it’s perfectly acceptable (um, at least in my opinion) to enjoy a slice for breakfast. Especially if slathered with some almond butter. Which I highly suggest, might I add!
Or, or! Drizzle a piece with a touch of maple syrup (or honey!) and enjoy it for dessert or just as a snack. Happy happy. Especially if you have some hot tea in a Christmas mug to go right along with it. Yesssss.
Tips & Tricks For This Healthy Gingerbread Loaf
- All ovens are different in terms of bake time!! I feel like I say this a lot but, truth! 55 minutes is perfect in my oven for this loaf, however this can vary. Just check for doneness with a cake tester!
- Be sure to stick with the white whole wheat flour here (and not regular whole wheat flour). It helps keep the loaf nice and light and fluffy.
- Also, try to stick with a 9×5 inch loaf pan. After a whole lotta testing, I find it just bakes up better in this size pan!
- The sparkling (or turbinado) sugar for sprinkling is totally optional, but it adds just the most delightful little crunch to the top of the loaf! So I say do it!!
Now, who wants to come help me think of Christmas gift ideas for all my family members?? I pay in slices of this maple gingerbread loaf!!
Additional Quick Bread Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Pear Bread with Oatmeal Streusel
- Healthy Spiced Sweet Potato Bread
- Olive Oil Banana Bread
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Bread
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil OR grapeseed oil*
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsulfured molasses (not blackstrap)
- sparkling or turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- additional maple syrup or honey, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda and sea salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, eggs, vanilla, oil, maple syrup and molasses until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with the sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- We love drizzling a touch more maple syrup (or honey!) over each slice right before enjoying.
*If you are using the coconut oil - two important points! First - be sure to melt the coconut oil and then measure out the correct amount (otherwise you may use too much). And second - let all the other ingredients come to room temperature before using with the coconut oil. If other ingredients are cold (especially the applesauce), the coconut oil can harden up!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 219mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 11g Protein: 4g