Slow Cooker Thai Sweet Potato Soup
So now that we’ve covered a fun Christmas baking recipe, let’s chat about an easy and healthy dinner idea! Because it’s all about that balance, yes???
And oh is this slow cooker thai sweet potato soup perfect for the season!
It’s cozy. It’s warming. It’s nourishing.
And we haven’t even gotten to the best part yet. —> It only takes about 20 minutes to chop and dump everything in the crockpot. And then wham bam dinner is done! Well, obviously the crockpot needs to do its thing and cook the soup, but you know what I mean. Barely any effort is required on our part!
Which, let’s be real, is absolutely essential this time of the year.
Because if you’re anything like me, you are trying to soak up every little bit of the magic that is the holiday season. And um, the craziness.
You know, decorating the tree while simultaneously watching Christmas movies and baking cookies and ordering presents and addressing holiday cards and oh yeah, also making time for that little itty bitty thing called work.
Which is exactly why we need to fuel up with this soup! Packed with colorful veggies, creamy dreamy sweet potatoes, red lentils and oh-so-much flavor from a touch of coconut milk and red curry paste, it is hard to resist! Especially when served with some bread on the side for dunking!
So, like always, let’s get to a few tips & tricks for the recipe!
- Be absolutely sure to THINLY slice the onion for this soup. This ensures that it cooks all the way in the crockpot. If you slice it to the same thickness as all the other veggies, it will wind up sort of crisp tender (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but you catch my drift!).
- And along those lines, also make sure that you cut the sweet potato into the ½ inch cubes. This size allows them to cook fully and get nice and soft.
- In my slow cooker, this soup takes the full 8 hours on low for all the veggies to get perfectly tender. But all crockpots cook slightly different, so just keep that in mind!
- I typically add another ¼ teaspoon salt to the soup once finished cooking, along with some cayenne pepper to give it a bit of heat! But play around and adjust the seasonings to your liking!
Soup season AND christmas cookie season??? It really is the most wonderful time of the year!
Products I Love & Use To Make This Recipe (may contain affiliate links):
Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste – This is the curry paste that I buy at my local stores. If you use this same brand (I can’t speak to any others!), the soup is pretty mild in terms of spiciness (which is why I like to add the cayenne pepper!).
Yield: about 4 to 6 servings
Slow Cooker Thai Sweet Potato Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 20 minutes
Super easy & oh-so-cozy slow cooker thai sweet potato soup! Creamy, flavorful and healthy! And your crockpot does all the work!
For the soup:
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1 inch) piece ginger, grated
- 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, cut into ½ inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
For serving (optional):
- Chopped peanuts or cashews
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Bread of choice for dunking
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, peppers, carrots, sweet potato, lentils, broth, curry paste, coconut sugar, salt and pepper to a crockpot. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for about 7 to 8 hours, until the veggies are all tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk until combined. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed (if you like a little heat, I’d also highly suggest adding in cayenne pepper to taste – so good!). Serve as desired!
Cook Nourish Bliss
Looking for more healthy & easy dinner ideas? Be sure to check out the recipe I created for Oh My Veggies!
Grab it here! —> Honey Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Lentil Salad