Blueberry Pistachio Coffee Cake
This blueberry pistachio coffee cake post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. Be sure to head to the bottom of the post right before the recipe for a special 15% off coupon for Cook Nourish Bliss readers on Bob’s Red Mill products!
Today calls for another spring baking recipe! That also just so happens to be perfect for your Easter table. And yes, I realize I am squeezing this in jussst in the nick of time for the holiday!
But, I promise you that it’s a good one.
We have a soft, fluffy and tender whole grain cake studded with plenty of fresh blueberries and chopped pistachios. It’s naturally sweetened with some honey and applesauce, and has just a bit of coconut oil to keep it perfectly moist.
And then, then, we top the cake off with a delightfully sweet streusel topping filled with oats, cinnamon and of course some more pistachios. Which I think we can all agree are just the best, yes?
Oh, and did I mention there’s also a quick little glaze that we drizzle over the top of the finished cake? Big time swoon!
It’s a perfect dessert to go along with a steaming cup of coffee or tea. Or, you know, as an afternoon snack because you have the leftovers sitting on the kitchen counter and find them impossible to resist.
So, today’s post is coming at you in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. Which many of you already know is one of my very favorite brands to use in my kitchen (whether they sponsor my posts or not!).
Between the quality and the variety of their ingredients and products, they are a company that I always feel fortunate to work with and share with you.
For today’s recipe, we are using their organic ivory wheat flour, which I have been itching to get my hands on for quite some time. It’s 100% whole grain and gives you a lighter flavor and texture than regular whole-wheat flour. Making it perfect for baking! We’re also using some of their oat bran (to pump up the nutrition even more) and some of their old-fashioned rolled oats in that aforementioned delightful streusel topping!
Tips & Tricks For This Blueberry Pistachio Coffee Cake
- Be sure to melt the coconut oil first, THEN measure out the correct amount. Otherwise you may use too much.
- Let’s talk measuring the flour. Scoop the flour out of the bag with a spoon into your measuring cup and then level off. Don’t pack it down or scoop it straight out of the bag with your measuring cup – this can result in using too much!
- Moving along to the pistachios. If you can find them, pre-shelled pistachios will make your life much easier here! Pistachios can be a bit pricey though, so you can absolutely use a different nut instead – I think either walnuts or pecans would be excellent here.
- The glaze. I have tried the glaze with both milk and lemon juice. For this cake, the milk is my preference (I thought the lemon overpowered some of the other flavors). But! If you love lemon, you can use that instead! It definitely adds another pop of springtime flavor!
And now, let’s get to that coupon! Bob’s Red Mill is offering 15% off their products (this does not apply to shipping or bulk bags) for Cook Nourish Bliss readers!
Enter code cooknourishbliss15 at checkout to redeem this offer (valid thru April 20, 2017)!
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the streusel:
- ⅓ cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Ivory Wheat Flour
- ⅓ cup Bob’s Red Mill Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or lightly packed brown sugar)
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
For the cake:
- 1 ¼ cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic Ivory Wheat Flour
- ¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, tossed with ½ tablespoon flour
- ⅓ cup chopped pistachios
For the glaze:
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper (cut a big enough piece so that the paper hangs over the edges of the pan on two sides). Spray lightly with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
For the streusel:
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, oats, sugar, pistachios, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Add in the oil and mix again until combined and evenly moistened. Set aside.
For the cake:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ivory wheat flour, oat bran, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, oil, honey and applesauce until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries and pistachios (the batter will be on the thick side). Transfer to the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with the streusel.
- Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack. Let cool completely, then use the parchment overhang to lift out of the pan.
For the glaze:
- Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and milk in a small bowl. Adjust the quantities if needed to get the glaze to your desired consistency. Drizzle over the cooled cake. Let the glaze set, then slice and serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 165mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 18g Protein: 4g
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. However, all opinions and content are completely my own. As always, thank you for reading and letting me share brands that I love!