Strawberries and Cream Breakfast Polenta
Meet my newest obsession. Strawberries and cream breakfast polenta. As if I wasn’t already massively in love with polenta, now I have a way to get my fix in the mornings as well. And I couldn’t be happier.
You see, for the last few months I have been on a polenta kick like no other. Most notably creamy polenta for dinner with whatever topping comes to mind for a simple weeknight meal. I even got my husband on board the polenta train – as he told me it’s one of his favorite dinner options as of late.
So while rummaging through my kitchen looking for breakfast one weekend, I had the genius idea to make a creamy polenta for breakfast. You know, a little on the sweeter side with some brown sugar and vanilla, topped with a splash of half and half, diced strawberries and some nuts for a little crunch.
I thought I was so smart until I googled to see if anyone else had the same idea to make a sweet version of polenta. Of course they did. Ah well, it was fun being a smarty pants while it lasted : )
Don’t you want to just dive right into that bowl of goodness? Anything strawberries and cream is bound to make your belly happy.
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarse polenta (not instant or quick cooking)
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- diced strawberries
- few splashes half and half (or whole milk)
- chopped nuts of your choice (I like walnuts or almonds here)
- To make the polenta - add the milk, water and salt to a medium saucepan. Set the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a low simmer. Slowly pour in the polenta, whisking constantly the entire time. Turn the heat down to low and partially cover with a lid. Cook for about 25 to 30 minutes, whisking every few minutes to get out any lumps (be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan). You want the polenta to thicken and have a creamy consistency. If it starts getting too thick, you can add in a little more milk (a tablespoon or so at a time).
- Remove from the heat and add in the brown sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Ladle the polenta into bowls. Top with some diced strawberries, a splash of half and half and some chopped nuts. Serve immediately.
Cookie Monster Cooking