Zucchini Bread Steel Cut Oatmeal
Perfectly creamy zucchini bread steel cut oatmeal! This healthy breakfast is filled with rich vanilla, warm cinnamon and shredded zucchini. And it’s dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
Tis the season for all things zucchini!
Maybe your garden is overflowing like crazy? Or perhaps you’re like me and can’t resist buying a wee bit too much at the store? Either way, allow me to introduce you to a delightful little breakfast – this zucchini bread steel cut oatmeal.
Packed with 1 ½ cups of zucchini, this oatmeal definitely is filled with plenty of the green stuff.
And, of course, is quite reminiscent of classic zucchini bread. Filled with rich vanilla, warm cinnamon and a bit of bakery flavored goodness from some almond extract, it’s cozy, delicious and like a giant breakfast hug.
And, um, no. You cannot taste the zucchini. <— Just like in the bread.
It’s creamy, it’s dreamy, it’s healthy … and it has that awesome sort of chewy texture that makes steel cut oats so darn fantastic in the first place.
Not to mention that it reheats beauuuutifully. Make a big ol’ batch on the weekend (or whenever you have time) and it’s ready to go throughout the week.
Tips & Tricks For This Zucchini Bread Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Let’s talk toasting the oats! I know you may want to skip this extra step, but please don’t. It really adds so much awesome flavor to the final dish. So just do it, okay?
- Toward the end of the cook time, it helps to stir a bit more frequently to ensure everything cooks nice and even and smooth (making sure that you scrape the bottom and sides of the pan to prevent clumps).
- Feel free to play around with the amount of ground cinnamon and nutmeg. As written, it’s a lovely sort of light background flavor, but you could absolutely add more as desired.
- And finally, if you happen to have any hanging around, this oatmeal is also excellent topped with some juicy fresh blueberries.
How To Store
Let the oatmeal cool completely then transfer to an airtight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
When reheating, I like to add in a splash of almond milk, but this is totally optional.
Additional Oatmeal Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Strawberries and Cream Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Baked Oatmeal
- Cranberry Apple Baked Oatmeal
- Baked Blueberry & Apple Oatmeal
- Dairy Free Overnight Oats (8 Ways!)
- Berry Vanilla Overnight Oats
- Morning Glory Overnight Oats
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 medium-large zucchini, grated and squeezed dry*
- 3 ½ to 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Add the water and milk to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. When hot, add in the oats and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until toasted and fragrant.
- Stir the toasted oats into the simmering liquid. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the zucchini, then continue to simmer gently for about 10 additional minutes, stirring occasionally (being sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan), until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and almond extract until well combined.
- Let the oatmeal stand for at least 5 minutes, then taste and adjust the maple syrup if needed. Spoon some of the oatmeal into a bowl and serve with desired toppings!
*Place the grated zucchini in a clean dish towel and squeeze to remove excess moisture, then break up the zucchini a bit with your fingers. You should have about 1 ½ cups.
Let's talk serving! I like to drizzle with extra almond milk or canned coconut milk and top with some chopped raw walnuts or pecans.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 6g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.