Strawberries and Cream Breakfast Polenta
This dreamy strawberries and cream breakfast polenta is a fun way to shake up your normal breakfast routine! With a creamy vanilla polenta base and topped with plenty of fresh strawberries, it’s seriously good. Gluten free and vegetarian with dairy free / vegan option.
Meet my newest obsession. Strawberries and cream breakfast polenta.
As if I wasn’t already massively in love with polenta, now I have a way to get my fix in the mornings as well. And I couldn’t be happier.
You see, for the last few months I have been on a polenta kick like no other.
Most notably creamy polenta for dinner with whatever topping comes to mind for a simple weeknight meal.
I even got my husband on board the polenta train – as he told me it’s one of his favorite dinner options as of late.
So while rummaging through my kitchen looking for breakfast one weekend, I had the genius idea to make a creamy polenta for breakfast.
You know, a little on the sweeter side with some brown sugar and vanilla, topped with a splash of half and half, diced strawberries and some nuts for a little crunch.
I thought I was so smart until I googled to see if anyone else had the same idea to make a sweet version of polenta. Of course they did. Ah well, it was fun being a smarty pants while it lasted.
Don’t you want to just dive right into that bowl of goodness? Anything strawberries and cream is bound to make your belly happy.
Additional Breakfast Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Strawberries and Cream Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Zucchini Bread Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Blackberry Coconut Breakfast Bowl
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Baked Oatmeal
- Baked Blueberry and Apple Oatmeal
- Cranberry Apple Baked Oatmeal
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the polenta:
- 2 ½ cups milk of choice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarse polenta (not instant or quick cooking)
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- diced fresh strawberries
- few splashes half and half*
- chopped nuts of your choice (I like walnuts or almonds here)
- Add the milk, water and salt to a medium saucepan. Set the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a low simmer.
- Slowly pour in the polenta, whisking constantly the entire time. Turn the heat down to low and partially cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 25 to 30 minutes, whisking every few minutes to get out any lumps (be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan). You want the polenta to thicken and have a creamy consistency. If it starts getting too thick, you can add in a little more milk (a tablespoon or so at a time).
- Remove from the heat and add in the brown sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Ladle the polenta into bowls. Top as desired then serve immediately.
*To keep this dairy free / vegan - be sure to use non dairy milk in the polenta base and drizzle with canned light coconut milk (shaken well) for topping.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 7g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice. Nutritional information is ONLY for the polenta base - it does not include anything for topping.