Bacon, Brie and Pear Flatbreads
Pure and total flatbread love. That’s what I’m here to share with you on this lovely Monday morning. Cheesy, bacon-y flatbread love.
This coming from the person who is currently trying to cut down on her cheese consumption. I KNOW. I’m in cheese withdrawal. Okay not really. I may just like being a little dramatic. But, the husband and I decided that we should cool it a bit with the cheese, you know, cut it back a tad (not totally, because that would be ca-razy).
Which of course is perfectly timed with the week that I have not one, but two recipes that involve cheese. It’s like karmic punishment. Staring at these pictures.
So let me tell you how awesome this recipe is, so all you cheese eating people can go run into your kitchen and make it.
I originally intended for these flatbreads to be a sort of appetizer, but then we ate them so fast the first time I made them that they ended up being dinner. So. The moral of the story. They can go either way. Appetizer, dinner, whatever you like.
We’re using naan as the base here, because it keeps this dish on the simple side. You’ll cook some chopped bacon in a skillet and then use the bacon grease to caramelize the pears. Yes, you read that right … bacon grease caramelized pears. I’m not really a head-over-heels in love with bacon kind of girl but here, oh man, does it work. So if you are a bacon lover I’m sure you’ll be where I am … times ten.
So then, we take those pears and spoon them on top of the naan, along with a good sprinkle of sliced red onion and brie. Pop them into the oven, where the brie gets all melty and gooey and runs a little bit all over the place – it’s wonderfully good.
And then when they come out of the oven, we’ll top them with the crunchy, crispy bacon and a nice drizzle of balsamic glaze for that touch of tangy sweetness.
So I’m thinking you should make this for that day o’ love coming up. Nothing says I ♥ you like bacon and cheese.
Yield: about 4 to 6 servings (as a main dish)
Bacon, Brie and Pear Flatbreads
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
Recipe for simple bacon, brie and pear flatbreads. With naan as a base and topped with caramelized pears, crispy bacon and brie!
For the bacon / pears:
- 4 pieces thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 medium pears, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (light or dark)
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 4 pieces whole wheat naan bread
- olive oil, for brushing
- about ¾ cup thinly sliced red onion
- about 7 to 8 ounces brie, rind removed if desired and cut into cubes
- balsamic glaze, for drizzling (optional!)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
To make the bacon / pears:
- Set a medium skillet (I like nonstick here) over medium-high heat. Add in the bacon pieces and cook until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Keep about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease, discarding any extra (if you don’t want to use the bacon grease, discard and use an equal amount of butter or olive oil).
- Set the skillet with the grease over medium heat. Add in the pears, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pears are tender and sort of caramelized a bit. Remove from the heat.
- Set two pieces of the naan on each prepared baking sheet. Brush each piece lightly with some olive oil. Top each piece evenly with the red onion and the cooked pears (using a slotted spoon for the pears). Sprinkle the brie cubes evenly over the top.
- Bake for about 10 to 13 minutes, until the crust is golden, rotating the pans once during baking. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cooked bacon and drizzle lightly with the balsamic glaze. Slice and serve.
I love to make this as an appetizer. Obviously, it will serve more that way too!
As with all sorts of pizzas, sandwiches, etc. – feel free to adjust the amounts of the toppings to your own liking!
Cook Nourish Bliss